Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite

Options
My Xl has had an underbite since I bought it 4.5 years ago. It appears to be worse now that I installed the new base.  

I have searched past threads and have a plan to try to fix it.  When seeing some of the pics posted of the band carriage bolts, it doesn't look to me like I have mine tight enough.  I don't have a torque wrench and don't plan to buy one.   I have seen several posts which indicate that the carriage bolts will break before the ceramic does.  My question - do I have to worry about possibly breaking the ceramic from overtightening the carriage bolts?  

Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• derka123
    Options
    Everything I've read, you don't have to worry about breaking the ceramic by tightening the carriage bolts too much. With regards to the overbite, I added some washers between the band and the hinge to "shim" the dome out which seemed to help.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Underbite on mine.  I was thinking of trying that.  Not sure what to shim though.  I assume I would need to shim the bottom of the hinge which should push the top of the hinge forward and thus the dome.  

My bands are not evenly spaced either so i will try to get that corrected.  Most posts suggest that the top of the bottom band should be right up to the bottom of the gasket and that the bottom of the top band should be as low on the ceramic dome as possible.

Thanks for your thoughts on the carriage bolts.  Mine came assembled form the dealer and they have a slight bend to them but I have seen pictures of bolts that appear to be bent almost 45 degrees.    
    XL BGE