Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All these posts on expensive charcoal

Options

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    henapple said:
    I've never understood why people have a $1000 kamado and whine about lump prices. Also... I'd RW burns twice as long... Is Royal Choke really a deal? 
    And they prolly drive 3hrs each way to save $3.50.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Keep eating campfire food if you like.  I guess I'm one of the many that doesn't know how to burn a fire clean.   I'm a Rockwood guy in n out.    
    RO burns clean just takes longer, and each bag is different most are okay, some are better and some worse. 

I've been on a rw run myself as of late but I wouldn't rule out ever going back to RO 
    90% of my meals are cooked on the egg.  Some on the weekend and damn near every night of the week.   I don't have the patience nor the want to wait for royal choke to burn clean.   Played that game before.  But I do understand what you are saying.  It's just a personal preference.   

analyze adapt overcome

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Yno said:
    I have yet to try Rockwood, because the stupid Prop 65 rules in the nanny state of California make it difficult to do business here. I have been quite content with Fogo. Delivered to my door free, big chunks, burns well and lasts a long time. I know that Rockwood will someday be in this area, but with tax it will be almost the same price as Fogo. We shall see when that time comes. I am certainly open to see what the holy grail of charcoal can do for me!
    I liked Fogo a lot, especially for low and slows, but I would take Rockwood every time if they are priced similarly. I think it will be worth the wait to try.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I agree @Mattman3969 using Rockwood makes weekday cooks a lot more feasible. I'm 400F and ready to cook in 15 minutes on the medium. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I liked Fogo a lot, especially for low and slows, but I would take Rockwood every time if they are priced similarly. I think it will be worth the wait to try.
    I've seen a few bags sell from the Ace in Stillwater, MN on August's reports.  Was that you?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    henapple said:
    I've never understood why people have a $1000 kamado and whine about lump prices. Also... I'd RW burns twice as long... Is Royal Choke really a deal? 
    Does RW really burn twice as long as RO?

That's not been my experience but then I haven't really measured it scientifically.
    I don't know about them, but our BTU/# is about 11,700.  In a Large BGE at 70F ambient, you can go almost 30 hrs if you fill all the way to the top of the fire ring (7-8#).

The South American stuff is going to have more BTU's per volume, because of the tighter grain (walnut is heavier than oak).  The opposite is true of the Canadian or Russian stuff (oak is heavier than birch or maple.)  Volume doesn't really matter though, and it really depends on the size/shape too.

It comes down to the carbonization.  Doesn't matter what wood or where it came from, the calorific of carbon is constant.  So if we're at 80-85% on average, it's going to have a higher BTU/# than the other guys that only kiln to 70-80%.  Carbon is about 14000, we're at 11700 on average, which is 83%........jives with the test we get back showing 80-85%.

How to tell the higher the carbonization............the easier it is break it apart by hand, you can hear that metallic "tink" sound, less ash, and the less it smokes.  The closer you get to carbon, the more brittle it is and the less volatiles it has in it.
    Good info, and has been mentioned before.

I was just saying that in my experience I haven't noticed that RW burns TWICE as long as RO.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mattman3969
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    henapple said:

That's not been my experience but then I haven't really measured it scientifically.
    I don't know about them, but our BTU/# is about 11,700.  In a Large BGE at 70F ambient, you can go almost 30 hrs if you fill all the way to the top of the fire ring (7-8#).

The South American stuff is going to have more BTU's per volume, because of the tighter grain (walnut is heavier than oak).  The opposite is true of the Canadian or Russian stuff (oak is heavier than birch or maple.)  Volume doesn't really matter though, and it really depends on the size/shape too.

It comes down to the carbonization.  Doesn't matter what wood or where it came from, the calorific of carbon is constant.  So if we're at 80-85% on average, it's going to have a higher BTU/# than the other guys that only kiln to 70-80%.  Carbon is about 14000, we're at 11700 on average, which is 83%........jives with the test we get back showing 80-85%.

How to tell the higher the carbonization............the easier it is break it apart by hand, you can hear that metallic "tink" sound, less ash, and the less it smokes.  The closer you get to carbon, the more brittle it is and the less volatiles it has in it.

I was just saying that in my experience I haven't noticed that RW burns TWICE as long as RO.
    What is your favorite lump brand MR G??  

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    henapple said:

He don’t cook! Just trolls about politics and KJ. 
  • Mattman3969
    edited September 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    henapple said:

You read my mind Pete.  I even searched his post before I asked!! We will see if he nutz up and replies.   

analyze adapt overcome

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    You're giving me lump dude. 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don’t buy Royal oak no more not because it’s sucks, but every Home Depot in my area doesn’t take care of the charcoal. Every bag I get its mostly dust.  I pay 37$ for a bag of BGE from my dealer.  My dealer takes care of his charcoal.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    henapple said:

Well, given your stance I guess I should say that Kamado Joe Big Block is the best charcoal on the planet and my personal favorite and leave it at that. The annual Costco Roadshow is in town this week (for reals!) so I'll probably swing by mid-week to load up the back of my truck (kidding - I'll probably just buy 4 bags).

In reality, I'm quite content with Royal Oak and that is what I use most often. I don't seem to have any of the problems that some others talk about. When I can buy it for $10/bag it's a great deal. When I buy it at its normal price it's still a good deal. Plus, it is always readily available 

I've used Rockwood. It's good stuff. Used some tonight actually to finish off/crust up a hunk of pork butt that had been swimming in the hot tub for the previous 24 hours  (sorry, forgot to take picture - maybe next time ;)  ). I have about 4 bags of Rockwood on hand and that will probably last me a long time -  a couple years at least. When it runs out I might get a couple more bags just becuz but I don't feel that it is really worth twice the price of Royal Oak. Nor do I believe that it burns twice as long as Royal Oak. I'd be glad to be proven wrong about that tho.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mattman3969
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @HeavyG - You forgot pics of the pork at least show us pics of you charcoal stash.  

I might as as well go ahead and say "of course you don't" before you say you don't have a pic of the meal or the coal. 

analyze adapt overcome

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    @HeavyG - You forgot pics of the pork at least show us pics of you charcoal stash.  

I might as as well go ahead and say "of course you don't" before you say you don't have a pic of the meal or the coal. 

Anyone ever notice he is also an expert on absolutely every single topic discussed on this forum?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'm sorry folks, Heavy's right.
    No lump, is worth double the price of RO.
    It would be different if it improved your end product.

If it needs to burn a bit.  Light, then prep.
    Y'all are actin' like it's your first time on a grill.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mattman3969
    Options
    He will expertly tell you about your feelings hear shorty @EGGjimh

analyze adapt overcome

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I guess you could use the money you're saving by using "oak"' to buy some more stickers to cover up the dents in the pickup truck
    Dents are character, badges of honor.

The money I save on lump goes directly to Revolution's Fist City.

Geez Jawga Boy, didn't you gradeate from Tech?  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    He will expertly tell you about your feelings hear shorty @EGGjimh

Yes your probably right, then I will have to agree with him and apologize to him.  Will be quite interesting to hear.  Bet you a bag of rockwood he uses real big words that I have trouble understanding.   BTW, not sure how far from Owensboro Ky you are but you ever been to the Moonlight BBQ?  Ate there a few weeks ago, pretty good place!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Mattman3969
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

@Focker - I'm gonna agree and disagree with you. The end product is taste, I agree.  The time waiting for royal choke to burn clean is not the same as RW.  I can cook on either if I have the time to wait.  Most times I nor my family do not want to wait for the long time for royal smoke to clear especially on week night cooks.  

The disagree is I don't think heavy G cooks much less knows how the lump reacts .  He plays this same game here and on the guru site. Between both sites I don't think I've ever seen one of his cooks.    

No no disrespect to u @focket

analyze adapt overcome

• HeavyG
    edited September 2017
    Options

Just for you, since you seem fixated on this, here's a teaser photo for you...

That's one of the Rubbermaid boxes I put my charcoal into. I never pour directly from the bag as I like to pick and choose according to my needs at the time.

The "RW" means Rockwood. Underneath that is one that says "RO". Underneath that is one that says "KJ". Behind those are ones that say "KB", "KC", and lastly, "FU", :)

Sorry for the poor pix - I just stepped out back with my Nexus 7 since it was at hand and I was too lazy to dig out the Hasselblad. But I hope that it is good enough to at least start to stimulate your Cowper's gland for you so you can finish up later on.

• Mattman3969
    edited September 2017
    Options

My RW in plain view and not in some container that has an unknown content 

@heavyG - I'm not the first to call you out on the non cooking post.  Post up a cook or keep on being googles best friend for discussion purposes.  

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RW is worth the difference because it allows you to control the smoke.  Some foods for me, I want little smoke.  RO without question imparts a smoky flavor.  Good lump for some cooks for sure, not all.  RW leaves the cook in control of the smoke content and I'm a control freak ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:

Come on Brandon! This is about a poser, not lump. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jeezus.

If someone wants to cook with RO, RW, KJ, Cowboy, BGE lump, buffalo dung etc. then let them. Why is it such a BFD???

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    Jeezus.

If someone wants to cook with RO, RW, KJ, Cowboy, BGE lump, buffalo dung etc. then let them. Why is it such a BFD???
    Bidirectional Forwarding Detection is important.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    caliking said:
    Jeezus.

Brother calking, you seem rather animated if not agitated.  This is in fact a lump thread after all.  You know how this goes!  I've recently been doing my chicken cooks over duraflame logs.  Best results ever.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Asish... Stfu. Let it stew. Geez 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    henapple said:
    Asish... Stfu. Let it stew. Geez 
    Precisely my point.