Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

That Mother is about to Go Down

Options
Happy to report crews arrived this morning to take down that scary live oak leaning over my house. Will keep you visually updated thru-out the process:
Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Best of luck!! (Did you check their insurance and bonding? :) )
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Oh, yeah They are popular in town ... and extremely busy. We're lucky they could fit us in. Despite the sky-high demand, they are not gouging.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Keep the picts coming!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Damn Skippy you're lucky they fit you in. Still have multiple trees down and can't get a reputable company out for 2-4 wks. Most of the more reputable tree companies are still in triage mode from Irma. Clearly my trees that are already on the ground are less pressing than a live oak sitting in somebody's living room. I'm totally okay with that.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    News2u said:
    Oh, yeah They are popular in town ... and extremely busy. We're lucky they could fit us in. Despite the sky-high demand, they are not gouging.
    Tree cutter's normal prices are gouging. 
  • News2u
    Options
    Damn Skippy you're lucky they fit you in. Still have multiple trees down and can't get a reputable company out for 2-4 wks. Most of the more reputable tree companies are still in triage mode from Irma. Clearly my trees that are already on the ground are less pressing than a live oak sitting in somebody's living room. I'm totally okay with that.
    I'm a past customer of their and they emphasized it would count for something. Plus my neighbor's is coming down, too, don't forget. Nice pkg deal, cuz between the 2, they are making some scratch on this visit. Don't want to give Maria anytime to think about which new direction to take.
  • News2u
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    You didn't YouTube how to cut it down yourself and one click amazon a chainsaw?
    No. Going to leave this to the pros:
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Good work to get this project taken care of.  Are you gonna grab some of the cut oak and air-dry for future use?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Those boys will be busy for months. Here is the base of one we were hacking at in Jacksonville last week.  And we were just trying to get enough out so they could get an electric pole back up.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• News2u
    Options
    Those boys will be busy for months. Here is the base of one we were hacking at in Jacksonville last week.  And we were just trying to get enough out so they could get an electric pole back up.
    A monster, indeed. The crew here has broken for lunch. But they are chipping away at it:
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    With equipment like that it's usually not an issue! It's the goofballs with a trailer and a chainsaw you gotta worry about.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Oops- Happened when setting an AC on the roof
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Haha. Not saying those rigs don't mess up. Just that they are VERY likely to have proper insurance if they can afford a $150k++ dollar work truck.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • News2u
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Haha. Not saying those rigs don't mess up. Just that they are VERY likely to have proper insurance if they can afford a $150k++ dollar work truck.
    Thank goodness, an uneventful day here, so far. They've moved on to my neighbor's tree:
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    MILF? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Tree removal is expensive because it can be very dangerous. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• News2u
    Options
    You are not kidding and for good reason. These guys are hard working; no telling how long it took them to load up before even arriving at 8:30am. Other than a lunch break, the brutal but orderly process is nonstop.
    Then 7 hours later, they breakdown, pack-up and re-deploy right next door to tackle this Mother:
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Free skylight with every purchase!   :o

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GATraveller
    Options
    That's a lot of firewood.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pretty cool pics on this thread, but I am really disappointed in the subject matter!
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    News2u said:
    You are not kidding and for good reason. These guys are hard working; no telling how long it took them to load up before even arriving at 8:30am. Other than a lunch break, the brutal but orderly process is nonstop.
    Then 7 hours later, they breakdown, pack-up and re-deploy right next door to tackle this Mother:
    I have been a certified arborist for 20 years and you are one of very few people who recognizes the fact that there is countless hours spent before/after these jobs, just in preparation and disposal afterwards. 
    Great job, but I gotta ask... Where the hell are there hard hats!!!!!!
  • News2u
    Options
    Gym said:
    News2u said:
    I have been a certified arborist for 20 years and you are one of very few people who recognizes the fact that there is countless hours spent before/after these jobs, just in preparation and disposal afterwards. 
    Great job, but I gotta ask... Where the hell are there hard hats!!!!!!
    First thing my wife asked was where are their goggles? As a unit they seem to work in perfect tandem to minimize any possible property damage, but personal safety not always on their mind. Regardless, it's a thankless job not lost on us. They were there when we needed them:
  • News2u
    Options
    henapple said:
    MILF? 
    For the longest time she always seemed so unapproachable. Glad we finally got the small talk out of the way. =)