Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs

Options

I picked up some beef back ribs at Costco on Saturday.  First time ever egging beef ribs of any kind, so I didn't know what to expect exactly. I smoked them over post oak and cherry with a homemade rub of S&P, mustard/garlic/onion powders, and paprika. Ran about 250° grate temp at felt level using AR. Start to finish was about three hours, but figuring out if they were done was a bit trickier than with pork ribs because the bend test didn't work because so little meat was there and my other go to, the bone wiggle (that's what she said) was inconclusive  

What meat was there was pretty good, there wasn't much of it. Most of what you see on top of the bones is rendered fat and rub, not meat.  The meat was between the bones. It took a decent amount of work to separate the succulent meat from connective tissue--it reminded us of picking Maryland crabs. (Lots of work, lots of waste, only no hammer involved.)

I don't know if I'd get the same cut again--I'd try for something that had more meat. Of course, these cooked in about three hours and cost about $3/pound, so it's not like this particular cut has no benefits.  Thanks for looking. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great result right there.  For the future, I use the tooth-pick test for the win with any rib protein.  Insert into the "between rib" meat and no resistance means you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Yours look very good. I do understand your comment about not much meat on beef back ribs. I switched to cooking chuck short ribs or plate ribs and they  have much more meat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited September 2017
    Options
    They cut the ribeye steaks off these ribs and leave very little meat. I had a similar experience recently and will not buy them again, 
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Looks very good to me. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bigegger
    Options
    good job! thanks for the post
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    edited September 2017
    Options
    They cut the ribeye steaks off these ribs and leave very little meat. I had a similar experience recently and will not buy them again, 
    Danguba78 - drum is right.  Butchers will pretty much cut off as much meat as they can so they can sell it for $8-$15/lbs as a ribeye instead of $4-$5/lbs as beef ribs. 

Don't give up on beef ribs, just switch over to chuck or plate ribs like Schiff said.  

Pretty much all I see in regular grocery stores in my area are ribs like you bought, they are the most common, which is why a lot of people wont eat beef ribs.  A lot of work for not much meat in return.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited September 2017
    Options
    i think the trick is to find bigger ones with more meat which you wont find too often. i like the short ribs too but cook them more often like steaks, cant get enough med/rare shortribs. found some incredibly marbled boneless ones last week

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I do prefer Plate Ribs or Chuck Short ribs, but if you have a Restaurant Depot near you, they usually have beef back ribs with more meat on them.  Not as much as Plate or Chuck ribs, but more than your average butcher will leave on the bones.  RD also has boneless chuck short ribs which cook up very nicely - kind of like a brisket with burnt ends but not as thick a cut of meat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • danguba78
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm off in search of meatier ribs. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE