Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need 1/2-stone to do this?

Have a PSWoo, platesetter (plus Woo extender for high in the dome, though not using it today). Do I need a half stone? 

I'm cooking boneless, skinless chicken thighs, raised direct to felt line, and also want to cook asparagus and unshucked corn. I've cooked chicken indirect and like direct better, and have cooked both corn and asparagus indirect.

If the easiest method for direct/indirect would be a half stone on the Woo for the corn/asparagus, we can get one today. ("We" meaning asking my husband to go to our dealer or Ace.)

Or can I get away with covering part of the grid with layers of foil or use a foil pan (or both) on the grid for the veggies? I like grid marks but they're not mandatory.

Since the corn takes a while, I'd rather not cook the chicken, remove it, insert the platesetter into the Woo, put it back and start cooking veggies. Same with not wanting to cook the chicken most of the way, remove, insert platesetter, etc. I don't like messing with set-ups when everything is hot, plus am looking for the simplest aka laziest way.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, went to our first Eggfest yesterday, Just 15 (?) eggs, a Dizzy Pig competition guy, reps. I forgot to ask about today's cook, dumb. Loved the creativity: stuffed Jalapeños with chicken, s'mores, smoked apples, BBQ parfait, squash/sweet potatoes, fruit mac 'n' cheese, skirt steak, French toast, more. Couldn't eat the food with dairy and sampled about half the rest, but really fun. 

Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    You could use a pan with water to act as a heat sink if you have a pan of the proper size.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    I have the woo.  I do meat at main grid on felt line and do my veggies on the extender up in the dome.  I thought about the half stone but so far haven't had any issues cooking anything.  Play your cards right..... Save the money and get a second egg!!  That's my future goal!
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    @Rte1985 I was wondering who would be first to say buy a second egg! So even though temp is hotter up in the dome, it works for the veggies because they're a greater distance from the burning lump? If so, can't think of an easier solution. Thanks.
  • bjeans

You could use a pan with water to act as a heat sink if you have a pan of the proper size.
    Do you mean rest it on the bottom of the Woo (so it covers just one part, of course). Thanks for the idea. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You could get away w. cutting a foil pie pan in half to form a shield. Or some cleverly formed double thick HD foil. The 'setter doesn't just make a cook indirect. It turns the Egg into something like a stove, with lots of heat coming from the bottom, but as hot air up to 600F, but not IR.

Most of the heat from lump comes off as IR, anything that creates a shadow will cut off more than half of the heat that hits the food.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Years ago, I bought this pair of pizza stones.
    https://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-Stones-8-5-Inch/dp/B0000E1FDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505667208&sr=8-1&keywords=8.5"+pizza+stones

I use them in different ways, one of which lets me cook direct on one side of my large grid while I place one or both of these on the other side for indirect. Just ball up some foil for spacers and set a CI skillet on them. Be creative.

You can use them to extend your platesetter coverage too.

They also handle heat very well. I once went from ambient to 900° instantly with no problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bjeans
    edited September 2017
    @Carolina Q those look great - you're sending me in another direction. I wonder if one would balance on the bottom of the Woo if I want to cook on the grid. Seems like maybe not unless I stretched some high temp wire across the Woo? I have some left over from my old glass/kiln days. 

Why are you making a space in between the CI pot and the stone? That's one beautiful photo.
  • bjeans

gdenby said:
    You could get away w. cutting a foil pie pan in half to form a shield. Or some cleverly formed double thick HD foil. The 'setter doesn't just make a cook indirect. It turns the Egg into something like a stove, with lots of heat coming from the bottom, but as hot air up to 600F, but not IR.

Most of the heat from lump comes off as IR, anything that creates a shadow will cut off more than half of the heat that hits the food.
    Thanks @gdenby. Excuse my egg newbieness: where am I putting the pan or HD foil? On the PSWoo or on top of the grid? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I would throw the extender on and not worry about an indirect piece. Nothing like fire roasted corn in the husk.  If you really wanted somewhat of an indirect cook you could bank the charcoal to the back and cook veggies toward the front.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bjeans
    @Mattman3969 that's what I'm going to do for this cook, which is what @Rte1985 posted too. I agree about the corn - so tasty when the husk/silk was left on, and super easy remove the silk. 

Of course the other posts/methods are good for my brain - on-line Egg education and future cooks. Thanks much.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    bjeans said:
    @Carolina Q those look great - you're sending me in another direction. I wonder if one would balance on the bottom of the Woo if I want to cook on the grid. Seems like maybe not unless I stretched some high temp wire across the Woo? I have some left over from my old glass/kiln days. 

Why are you making a space in between the CI pot and the stone? 
    I don't have a woo, but I suspect balancing would be kinda iffy. If you have a spare grid, you could set it on the fire ring and put the stone(s) on it.

I usually don't set stuff directly on a platesetter or similar. I like an air gap to help prevent scorching. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Veggies on the woo extender is what I would do...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bjeans
    Yes, what I'll do. Picturing the corn rolling off as I slide the extender to flip the chicken... just part of the Egg adventure. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Turn the corn with the grate.  No worries 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bjeans
    Turn the corn with the grate.  No worries 
    Hmm. ELI5?* The corn will be placed on the DGrid first, which I'll have to slide out of the way to put the chicken on the regular grid beneath it, and also to flip the chicken. 

Of course corn isn't round; I'm just not the nimblest at juggling/multi-tasking egg projects.

*Explain Like I'm 5
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    bjeans said:

Thanks @gdenby. Excuse my egg newbieness: where am I putting the pan or HD foil? On the PSWoo or on top of the grid? 
    If you have a grill at the top of the Woo, you just need a thin foil layer on the bottom portion. A half stone is really not necessary, tho better over time than using lots of foil.

The only thing that is really necessary is having a layer that blocks the IR. Most simple set up might be a pan on a grill at the fire ring, w. the food on a rack in the pan so its not touching the pan, and there is some space to catch the drippings. The Woo helps put the food up where its easier to flip, etc, and cooking in a temp closer to the dome therm.
  • bjeans
    Cook turned out okay; I'd give it a B-, husband says A- but, well, you know. Still need to stop plunking food on before target temp has been stabilized longer, especially when that much food is going in. And need more practice egging three foods in one cook.

I used the extender and DGrid for the first time and liked it a lot - just a little awkward to load/flip chicken underneath. even when pushed back. Managed to get it off track so had to keep the dome open long enough to fix it; glad I had heavy duty weird bright turquoise gloves. (Color matters.) Just a quick cell phone snapshot that makes the chicken look red. 

Thanks all for helping me - as usual you're the best. 

• bjeans
    gdenby said:
    bjeans said:

If you have a grill at the top of the Woo, you just need a thin foil layer on the bottom portion. A half stone is really not necessary, tho better over time than using lots of foil.

The only thing that is really necessary is having a layer that blocks the IR. Most simple set up might be a pan on a grill at the fire ring, w. the food on a rack in the pan so its not touching the pan, and there is some space to catch the drippings. The Woo helps put the food up where its easier to flip, etc, and cooking in a temp closer to the dome therm.
    Thanks for the clarification - the logic makes perfect sense. And it sounds like it can work using the PSWoo with or without the extender - the two grids higher or lower IOW.