Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Pot Roast

Options
I've used Grandpas Grub Dutch Oven pot roast recipe many times, it's always good . I add wine, he doesn't. It was first posted on this forum 4-08. My 4.5 lb chuck roast was done in 3.5 hours.

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    That looks mighty tasty and I love the color. Good work.

XL BGE
    MD
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Looks great. Recipe, times and Temps please. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yum. I love that recipe and have made it often. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks really good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TideEggHead
    Options
    Mmm  looks delicious 
    LBGE
    AL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2017
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Looks great. Recipe, times and Temps please. 
    I have no idea how to access recipes on this site. "Cookbook" looks promising, but gets me nothing. Anyone know?

But, the OP said this was a @Grandpa's Grub recipe so that means it's on the old forum. As far as I know, GG has never been on here. Anyway, here's his Dutch Oven pot roast recipe...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1016

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    That's the one. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Laserlarry
    Options
    I apologize for not get back to this sooner. Here is a link to the recipe.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/434098/dutch-oven-pot-roast
    It is the same recipe Carolina Q linked but it is on this forum(April 2008). I used a Flame boss to keep the temperature close to 300 deg F( it over shot by 15 deg for about an hour.) Besides adding a quarter of a cup of wine, for liquids I used chicken broth and beef stock, no water. I had to add more beef stock half way through. I also used baby carrots, they melted in your mouth and tasted like candy. I used canned potatoes because thats what I had, they tasted really good to. I added them for just the last hour, that was long enough to warm them up. Thank you for all your kind comments.

• GATraveller
    Options
    Awesome. Subbed for future reference. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Fun and easy prep. No worry cook. Awesome result. I'll whip up some mashed potatoes with it. Great leftovers. Pair with a good Red of choice and you'll be napping before you know it. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kent does nice work, eh? Wonder how the old boy's doin'. No one has heard from @Grandpas Grub in forever! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Do you cook that in there with the lid off?
    Gittin' there...
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    I cook it with the lid of and with a plate setter. I forgot to mention that I also add some cherry chunks to the fire.
  • GrandpasGrub
    GrandpasGrub Posts: 3
    edited September 2017
    Options
    1st off, thanks CarolinaQ for the email.  Finally got my PW problem fixed.  That pot roast looks fantastic.  Love to have some of those taders & onions.  My thoughts uaing a lid is like taking a shower with a rain coat on.  Save the lump & use the oven w/lid on.  W/lid on using flavor wood won't help.  Just my 2 cents.

If looking for more smoke flavor at first cook at under 185° for 30 to 60 minutes & use the flavor wood then go back to the normal cook. The cook temps & time is just a guide.  With any cook always cook to temperature, once you do your cooks will be much better.

GG 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's a great looking roast.  Great color in your pic too.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX