Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy Eating at its worse.

2»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's because that is not healthy eating. Sorry, but the only healthy bits on that plate are the veggies. And they got buried under bacon and a gallon of creamy something. Even tilapia is the subject of debate when it comes to "healthy" seafood. In general, farm raised fish is not healthy. 

Try one strip of bacon on the asparagus next time. Or none. It's quite good with just a little oil and some s&p. On the grid or in a CI skillet.

And try a vinaigrette (just a little) on the salad. Nothing creamy. And read the dressing nutrition label... check the serving size. Guaranteed it's not a GALLON! =)

As for the fish, try some wild caught salmon. Aldi sells frozen wild caught for less than $4 a pound! I've seen it at Walmart too, but haven't tied it yet or even paid much attention to the label. I keep meaning to, but Aldi is so much closer.

Healthy is a good thing. And once you get used to it, it IS good!

You're like the Jenny Craig of the egghead forum. 
    Jenny Craig food is expensive unlike four buck frozen fish 
  • I feel the pain. I'm starting low carb on Monday. Gettin it all in this weekend. Going to do a pepper stout beef for the game this weekend. Next week is going to suck. But it has to be done. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Carolina Q
    "Wild caught frozen salmon" at Aldi and The Wal-Mart...was there a side note that says color added or packaged in China?  So sorta like a communist salmon popsicle huh
    Fresh, never frozen and even better yet locally sourced is my go to. Granted fish are like fruits and vegetables in a way as they tend to be seasonal and regionally specific. Maybe I just perceive fresh as something completely different?  Enjoy your Gorton's "fresh frozen fish" :wink: .  Flash freezing does help preserve flavor but, never quite as good as never frozen. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    only way to know fish is fresh is to catch it, clean it and eat it. even at the shore the display has fresh and its mostly been frozen ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Actually plain old Vinegar and Olive oil is quite tasty on a salad.
    Gittin' there...
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Central_Bama_Egger Posts: 886
    edited September 2017
    So, if I put a fist sized salad on my plate,,,,,,,,, how many "gallons" of dressing would you all "know" I had on there? 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Kudos on aiming to eat healthier to try and lose some weight. One of the best things you can do to improve health outcomes overall.

But losing 10lbs in 20 days is not healthy. No matter what you're starting weight was.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Kudos on aiming to eat healthier to try and lose some weight. One of the best things you can do to improve health outcomes overall.

But losing 10lbs in 20 days is not healthy. No matter what you're starting weight was.
    Pffft.  Doctors....
  • caliking said:

Ahh. Ok. Thanks!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • caliking said:

Hey doc. So should I have lost 4 pounds in 20 days or 80 pounds in 20 days? Not being a smart butt. I'm asking. What would you consider healthy? 

Its been a long couple of years and I've added several pounds. I know losing a lot of weight fast is unhealthy which is why I thought (or I hoped) I was on point. 

I cut no telling how many calories per day down to 1200-2000 per day. Depending on the day. 

225 is always my target weight. I was 275 when I started "trying". I'm 265 now. 

I picked up my excerise. Not a lot. But more than sitting my big A down every night. 

So, I'd like to know what your suggestion is. Outside of just saying what I'm doing isn't healthy. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    caliking said:

Hey doc. So should I have lost 4 pounds in 20 days or 80 pounds in 20 days? Not being a smart butt. I'm asking. What would you consider healthy? 

Its been a long couple of years and I've added several pounds. I know losing a lot of weight fast is unhealthy which is why I thought (or I hoped) I was on point. 

I cut no telling how many calories per day down to 1200-2000 per day. Depending on the day. 

I picked up my excerise. Not a lot. But more than sitting my big A down every night. 

So, I'd like to know what your suggestion is. Outside of just saying what I'm doing isn't healthy. 
    Average recommended weight loss rate that has proved to be effective over a long term outlook is around 2#/week. I lost 80# over an 11 month period and kept it off for 4 years. I'm up about 10# right now, this summer was not good for my target weight with many parties, vacation, and work travel.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @caliking seems to have bought into some of the nutrition fiction that is out there.  Seriously, most the "nutrition" section at the book stores really ought to just be moved to the "fiction" or "mythical lore" section.  

Everybody has different metabolism, but the average 150 pound adult can lose a maximum of about 0.4 - 0.5 pounds of fat per day without depleting their protein stores to do it.  Any more than that and most people start losing protein (muscle mass/strength/immune system, etc) as a portion of the weight they lose.  At your size, you're probably OK losing 1/2 pound per day - especially if you are eating a reasonably balanced 1200-2000 calories such that you're meeting your vitamin needs.  And especially if you are getting some exercise.

There really is very little that is well-studied but here are some truths.

1) Your weight (body mass index) is the single most important determinant of health risk.
    2) Cholesterol level is important, but not as important, and really (within a given individual) correlates pretty strongly with weight so it is hard for it to be an independent determinant of health risk (although it is).
    3) It is possible to be deficient in some nutrients, but with a modern diet, it's pretty hard to do - and essentially impossible if you take a multivitamin more than once a week.  
    4) Your weight is determined by the relationship between calories consumed and calories burned.  A calorie is a calorie whether it is from broccoli or ice cream (although eating 1000 calories of ice cream is easy, 1000 calories of broccoli is more of a challenge).  A strict low carb OR low fat diet can make your calorie burning system inefficient such that this relationship gets deranged somewhat allowing you to take in more calories because your system won' t get as much energy out of what you consume.  But very few people can keep up either diet for the long haul.
    5) 98% of people (probably higher) can't (OK they CAN but they DON'T) lose 1/2 of their excess body weight and keep it off for a year with ANY diet.  That's why surgical weight loss is becoming so popular...

So, I say keep doing what you're doing.  But, while you do it, if you want to be part of the 1-2% that has a good long term result, you'll need to transition from your "diet" to something that is sustainable in the long term such that you don't think of it as a "diet" - it's just what you do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

And don't blame caliking for being an idiot.  It's not his fault.  Gastroenterologists feed into the lore.  He probably prescribes cod liver oil for some of his sick kids. :)  Surgeons are scientists.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW said:
    caliking said:

Average recommended weight loss rate that has proved to be effective over a long term outlook is around 2#/week. I lost 80# over an 11 month period and kept it off for 4 years. I'm up about 10# right now, this summer was not good for my target weight with many parties, vacation, and work travel.
    Thanks for that info. And I appreciate the actual info. Looks like I'm gonna be round 3.5 per week. If math serves me correctly. e decided to back off a bit. Keep some habits. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Foghorn said:
    @caliking seems to have bought into some of the nutrition fiction that is out there.  Seriously, most the "nutrition" section at the book stores really ought to just be moved to the "fiction" or "mythical lore" section.  

Everybody has different metabolism, but the average 150 pound adult can lose a maximum of about 0.4 - 0.5 pounds of fat per day without depleting their protein stores to do it.  Any more than that and most people start losing protein (muscle mass/strength/immune system, etc) as a portion of the weight they lose.  At your size, you're probably OK losing 1/2 pound per day - especially if you are eating a reasonably balanced 1200-2000 calories such that you're meeting your vitamin needs.  And especially if you are getting some exercise.

There really is very little that is well-studied but here are some truths.

1) Your weight (body mass index) is the single most important determinant of health risk.
    2) Cholesterol level is important, but not as important, and really (within a given individual) correlates pretty strongly with weight so it is hard for it to be an independent determinant of health risk (although it is).
    3) It is possible to be deficient in some nutrients, but with a modern diet, it's pretty hard to do - and essentially impossible if you take a multivitamin more than once a week.  
    4) Your weight is determined by the relationship between calories consumed and calories burned.  A calorie is a calorie whether it is from broccoli or ice cream (although eating 1000 calories of ice cream is easy, 1000 calories of broccoli is more of a challenge).  A strict low carb OR low fat diet can make your calorie burning system inefficient such that this relationship gets deranged somewhat allowing you to take in more calories because your system won' t get as much energy out of what you consume.  But very few people can keep up either diet for the long haul.
    5) 98% of people (probably higher) can't (OK they CAN but they DON'T) lose 1/2 of their excess body weight and keep it off for a year with ANY diet.  That's why surgical weight loss is becoming so popular...

So, I say keep doing what you're doing.  But, while you do it, if you want to be part of the 1-2% that has a good long term result, you'll need to transition from your "diet" to something that is sustainable in the long term such that you don't think of it as a "diet" - it's just what you do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

And don't blame caliking for being an idiot.  It's not his fault.  Gastroenterologists feed into the lore.  He probably prescribes cod liver oil for some of his sick kids. :)  Surgeons are scientists.  
    Wow. That last part was brutal. Hahaha. 

Thank you tho sir. I am doing my best to hit that line of loss and sustainability. 

Witb sustainabilty being the most important ideal. Thanks again my friend. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Foghorn
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add that one of the reasons that so few people do well over the long haul is that it seems that when you underfeed your body, it compensates by reducing the metabolic rate, so your calorie expenditure goes down.  Exercise can help combat this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    I am occasionally, but still pleasantly,  surprised when surgeons can string so many sentences together to put forth a (somewhat) cogent argument.

I usually refrain from participating in the weight loss discussions, because most folks tend to be misinformed about nutrition, what "healthy" weight loss means, etc. Not sure why I made an exception today, but I'm in it now, so here goes. 

There is some truth to what @Foghorn mentioned -  that everyone has different metabolism, that there isn't great evidence to show what is ideal, and that the vast majority of people cannot sustain their target weight loss or maintain their target ideal body weight over time. But his (professional) experience is tainted by the short-term, controlled environment in which he deals with caloric intake/expenditure, metabolism, protein gain/loss, etc. Its much more convenient to be a scientist on those terms. 

And that your weight is fundamentally determined by the calories you consume and the calories you burn. We usually become overweight or obese because caloric intake exceeds caloric expenditure. You can lose a lot of weight by consuming significantly less calories, even without exercising much. This has been proven many times over during famines and other circumstances. Ramp up the weight loss even more by increasing your caloric expenditure. An extreme example of which would be inmates of concentration/labor camps. 

If you lose weight rapidly in a short period of time, because of drastic changes in diet or lifestyle, the odds are that you will be less likely to maintain those changes long enough to reap the benefits (over your lifetime) of having lost weight. Its not losing the weight that is paramount - its keeping it off that counts. There's no easy solution. Even given today's surgical options. Weight loss by primarily restricting your caloric intake is not going to have a positive impact on health outcomes. 

So what's "healthy"? Good question. I don't know the answer. I do have some idea of what is unhealthy. But you don't need me to tell you that. Do whatever you need to make you feel good. 

Lastly, bear in mind that any non-cooking advice given on a cooking forum is worth about what you paid for it. If you want to blame me for being an idiot... you'll have to take a number and get in line behind all the others. 

• caliking
    Oh, and do what Foghorn said. His BMI is less than mine. 

• Foghorn
    caliking said:
    Oh, and do what Foghorn said. His BMI is less than mine. 
    Yeah, but by the BMI stratification I'm overweight as my BMI is 27 (which is down from 28.6 a few years ago).  But that doesn't make me right. 

I do try to folllow the ancient surgical motto of "often wrong, but never in doubt".  :)

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    pretty sure the average overweight person can lose 10 pounds in 20 days at the beginning of a diet just by lowering salt intake, i dont see any problems with that at all. i cant eat the lettuce, but i still want a side of that dressing =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pretty sure the average overweight person can lose 10 pounds in 20 days at the beginning of a diet just by lowering salt intake, i dont see any problems with that at all. i cant eat the lettuce, but i still want a side of that dressing =)
    Yep! How about we see who can lose that. Starting......... now. See my next one. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE