Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! - Dutch oven on the plate setter?

Options
Itmightbemike
Itmightbemike Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Following up to my last post regarding "Over the Top Chili". This might be a dumb question, but does everyone put the dutch oven directly on the plate setter? I feel like a cast iron dutch oven full of chili and a giant meatball is a lot of weight to put on a ceramic plate setter. My dutch oven has 3 "feet", so that would potentially be a lot of weight on 3 little legs. Or does everyone put the dutch oven directly on a grate. Thanks everyone!!

Comments

• Laserlarry
    Options
    I put my on the grate with the legs up. I've cooked pot roast , soups and mac and cheese that way, it works fine. Someone else probably knows better than I how much weight it can hold.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I think the biggest concern with respect to placing a cooking vessel directly on the PS is the potential for too much heat. For those of us who have Dutch ovens without the feet, it's important to place an air gap between the cooking vessel and the PS to recent burning. 

Sounds like your DO solves that problem.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    RRP said:
    No - you are fine - I have done many pots of this and that. BTW your 3 legged Dutch oven is called the camp style. It is my favorite one as the legs allow the heat to surround evenly without ingredients on the bottom getting stuck and burnt.
    I need to get a 3 legged pot for my medium
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    You said Dutch oven 

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    RRP said:
    No - you are fine - I have done many pots of this and that. BTW your 3 legged Dutch oven is called the camp style. It is my favorite one as the legs allow the heat to surround evenly without ingredients on the bottom getting stuck and burnt.
    I need to get a 3 legged pot for my medium
    Watch for sales or discount coupons etc, but it is nice to have both the legged camp style for on the egg, but the non-legged style is best inside on the stove. If SWMBO can't understand your buying two then the first choice should be the flat bottom style without legs...you can always figure out some way to provide the risers for the air flow...even though the camp style has a curved bottom in addition to the feet. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You're fine.
    My Emeril CI do just about everything pan is 26.8lbs empty.  

Full of lasagna, easily approaching, if not, mid 30s with the lid on for the first half of the cook..and on the rack above the platesetter.

The DO with legs will ride on the grid if you want to try it, the legs will fit through the grid.

For this ott chili, lower, and directly on the platesetter, with a grid on the DO, would be best.

I've had a #12 Lodge DO with legs fully loaded  with beans and chili, directly on the platesetter, no issues.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I use a camp oven on the egg from time to time. I set it on the plate setter - although I am careful.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrandpasGrub
    Options
    On grate, on PS, on the lump, however no lid.  That's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.  Save the lump & put it in the oven or use kingsford.
    GG

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    On grate, on PS, on the lump, however no lid.  That's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.  Save the lump & put it in the oven or use kingsford.
    GG

Not really. That lid is designed to put coals on it while cooking so you get even heat. It's a campfire oven not a BGE accessory. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    GG

A DO with the lid off the entire time picks up too much smoke IMO, and dries things up, requiring additional liquid.  And I like smoke.

Midway on pot roast, mostly waiting and adjusting for the right simmer, I'll put the lid on cracked just a bit, to braise at the optimum temp.  

For PSB for ex., the chuck gets smoke for the first stage, so it gets a cracked lid from the beginning of stage 2.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."