Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TheromQ Article on Pork Butt Cook in half the time

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I recently received an email on this article from ThermoQ.  It discusses a cook of a Pork Butt at a higher temperature as compared to a lower temperature.  I think that I will try the higher temperature for a quicker cook next time.
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    This might also help. search "turbo butt", just don't do it in google...lol

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=turbo+butt

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    I've always done "turbo butts" and have been pleased with the results. Never have done one at 225°F, but I think my next one I'll actually do at 225°F and see if I find the difference as they mentioned in the article.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    from the posted article:

Taste Test: So could we taste a difference? The short answer is, yes. The roast at the higher temperature actually had more browning on its exterior, which had excellent flavor. The pork cooked at the lower temperature still developed good bark and browning. But the real difference was in the texture. The lower temperature cook allowed the connective tissues to come up to temperature for breaking down much more gradually and was held in that temperature range for a longer period of time. The result was protein fibers that were melt-in-your-mouth tender, silky, and juicy. There was a noticeable difference with the protein strands in the pork from the higher temperature cook. Because the protein was denatured faster, and the meat felt a bit more stringy. It had a firmer texture against your teeth and didn’t seem quite as moist. But despite this, the roast cooked at a higher temperature had phenomenal flavor from the rub and bark.

There was a noticeable difference with the protein strands in the pork from the higher temperature cook. Because the protein was denatured faster, and the meat felt a bit more stringy. It had a firmer texture against your teeth and didn’t seem quite as moist. But despite this, the roast cooked at a higher temperature had phenomenal flavor from the rub and bark.

Our Recommendation: The true “low and slow” smoking process would definitely be more suitable for barbecue competitions and those with more discerning palates; but for a backyard barbecue, we found the faster process fit the bill. Most people likely won’t detect the subtle differences in texture and the time savings were significant. If you’re smoking your pork butt for a family reunion or other similar event, it may well be worth it to save yourself some time and crank up the heat in your smoker.