Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fermenting chili peppers for sauce

Options
is there no rules for timing this, recipes go 3 days to 3 months. started some this weekend with thai,cayenne,ajicitos, onion, and garlic. its held under the brine with a fermenter lock on top like the black coleslaw i made last fall ;)
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My saurkraut will be one month in the Fermat come this Thursday. Time varies depending on what it is. I just started beets and carrots yesterday. And the okra I did earlier I stopped after day 4 but still added some raw ACV to punch it up and then fridged it. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't know about a fermat.  I just pick the peppers when nice and red, place in a glass jar with apple cider vinegar, fresh garlic peeled or garlic powder  some fish sauce. I usually use a 1/2 gal jar and when the season is over, I just let sit until i feel they have been there long enough , sometimes go for a month or 2 if not in a hurry.  When ready take a stick blender and blend.  Transfer to smaller jars for gifts or just keep some in a ketchup squeeze bottle by the stove  for when need. I have some over a year old and still taste great with a nice kick. careful about the amount of fish sauce as it is salty. Has a great shelf life.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Don't know about a fermat.  I just pick the peppers when nice and red, place in a glass jar with apple cider vinegar, fresh garlic peeled or garlic powder  some fish sauce. I usually use a 1/2 gal jar and when the season is over, I just let sit until i feel they have been there long enough , sometimes go for a month or 2 if not in a hurry.  When ready take a stick blender and blend.  Transfer to smaller jars for gifts or just keep some in a ketchup squeeze bottle by the stove  for when need. I have some over a year old and still taste great with a nice kick. careful about the amount of fish sauce as it is salty. Has a great shelf life.
    i will have to do a side by side, thats if the ferment works this time
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    thought I sent you some hot a few years back??
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thought I sent you some hot a few years back??
    wasnt me, i did enjoy that mango chutney though, great stuff
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Will get mixed up
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin