Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Showing the MMX to a friend with reverse twice seared steak, flambe shot!

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
We have a friend visiting from (literally) the other side of the planet. She's seen pictures of cooks, so I asked her what she'd like to try out from the Egg. "Those thick steaks you cook that are sliced, pink on the inside and look crisp on the outside" she replied. Well that's good news because I love cooking reverse twice seared steak in the MMX. Washed down with a 2014 Mullineux Syrah and Ata Rangi Pinot Noir, the latter having been bought by our guest.

Second stage of the sear with melted bone marrow:

Plated with triple cooked chips and some broccoli:

SWMBO made her excellent Madeira based mushroom sauce again, love that stuff:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As always, that looks wonderful! Did you ever post the recipe for the mushroom/madeira sauce? Didn't see it on your blog. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    As always, that looks wonderful! Did you ever post the recipe for the mushroom/madeira sauce? Didn't see it on your blog. 
    Thanks! SWMBO is putting the finishing touches to it, she made a slight change last night and it was noticeably better. I think it will be up either this Friday or the following. I'll also post it here in the sauces bit.

Shucks, it's a hard life experimenting with quality foods :).
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Whoa, every bit of that looks LUSCIOUS!!!  But that steak, Man, it just looks perfect!  Mouth watering!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks fantastic. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    Theophan said:
    Whoa, every bit of that looks LUSCIOUS!!!  But that steak, Man, it just looks perfect!  Mouth watering!
    Cheers bud. Gotta say that the BGE deities were good to us last night and the MMX showed itself in fine style with that steak it was awesomely good. Our guest is probably going to be getting one when she returns home, at the moment they have a gas powered Weber thingy. :)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Thanks! SWMBO is putting the finishing touches to it, she made a slight change last night and it was noticeably better. I think it will be up either this Friday or the following. I'll also post it here in the sauces bit.

I see you are taking a page out of @bgebrent's playbook! 
  • Wow that looks good...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

I see you are taking a page out of @bgebrent's playbook! 
    LOL.  @Stormbringer, you might want to pre-order your replacement handle. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Great looking food, but are those Christmas lights on the tree?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621 said:
    Great looking food, but are those Christmas lights on the tree?
    They are outside lights adorning the tree trunk. SWMBO is really into outside lighting of ... well, everything, including underneath the glass table-top:

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @Stormbringer The food looks fantastic, I have done a reverse sear on prime rib, can you explain this reverse twice seared process to me?
  • Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    feef706 said:
    @Stormbringer The food looks fantastic, I have done a reverse sear on prime rib, can you explain this reverse twice seared process to me?
    Sure @feef706 it's all in this post on my food blog:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/06/01/bone-marrow-glazed-steak/

• Looks great Storm. Looking forward to that recipe. Always enjoy checking out your blog. 
    Snellville, GA

• We have a friend visiting from (literally) the other side of the planet. She's seen pictures of cooks, so I asked her what she'd like to try out from the Egg. "Those thick steaks you cook that are sliced, pink on the inside and look crisp on the outside" she replied. Well that's good news because I love cooking reverse twice seared steak in the MMX. Washed down with a 2014 Mullineux Syrah and Ata Rangi Pinot Noir, the latter having been bought by our guest.

Second stage of the sear with melted bone marrow:

Plated with triple cooked chips and some broccoli:

SWMBO made her excellent Madeira based mushroom sauce again, love that stuff:

Easily one of the coolest shots I have seen on the forum. 

Great looking meal meal right there. Not surprised your friend is now considering the MMX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    By the way, we still have the "two countries separated by a common language" thing going on. =)
    Related image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    By the way, we still have the "two countries separated by a common language" thing going on. =)
    Related image
    I see a lovely pile of fried, crisp potato chips. :D

I did go through my food blog and tag everything that mentioned triple cooked chips with "fries" though.

• Stormbringer
    edited September 2017
    Our guest took a short clip of the second sear stage, @Kent8621 you can see yet more lighting in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lPJN_rXD-c