Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Faux Cambro question

Options
Happy Monday everyone.  

Wanted to throw this out to you smoking veterans.  My boss is looking to smoke a butt overnight to bring to his kid's football game the following day.  He is looking at about 7 hours in travel and game time before they eat.  Is that too long to FTC?  If so, any recommendations on how he should proceed?  I'm not looking to give my boss' family food poisoning during us son's first football game, so I decided I needed to go to the forum with this one.

any advice is appreciated.
A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• EggMcMic
    Options
    I had a brisket that finished at about 8:00am when I was planning on about 4:00pm (the cow controls the cook!). FTC'd it for about 13 hours and it was fine. The bark lost a little of it's bark-i-ness, but other than that it was good. I regularly make pork butts over night, pull them off about 6am and FTC them for lunch at work (6 hours later). Always get rave reviews so I think you are good. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • coomdaddy
    Options
    I'd make sure it's in a good cooler wrapped in a couple towels.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'd throw in a couple of foil wrapped heated baked bricks too. And would def check the internal temp before pulling and eating, so long as it's at least 140 you'll be good. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Quick google.  Found this.  My work computer doesn't like the link because the website starts with "naked".  but search that link for more info.

And @nolaegghead is right here.  You only have to worry once below 140F.  That will take hours in a cooler.  then the real clock starts. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I always pre-warm the cooler with clean gallon milk jugs filled with HOT tap water. Usually let it set for 20-30 minutes then refill the jugs one more time before loading the protein. Also use a cooler that fits the protein, not one that will leave a lot of extra room when loaded. If needed use more towels. I've carried pork butts for 6-8 hours with no problems.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Thanks all.  The quick responses are much appreciated.  I love this forum, you guys are great.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Towels in the dryer beforehand will help as well. Every little bit....