Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone Break In

OK, I reckon I had to be the hibachi chef tonight, and it's gonna take some practice. I tried cooking too many things at one time so it's got a learning curve to adjust! Cooked up some shrimp/steak/chicken, fried rice, and zukes! I'm purty critical of myself so I gave it a 6.5 outta 10! I think I'm gonna like it a great deal and the clean up wasn't as much of a pain as I thought it was gonna be!!!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• Looks like a 10 to me! I did my first one this am and I was very pleased. Bacon, Hashbrowns and eggs. The clean up was very easy.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looks like a good start. Mis en place is everything with that cooker. Keeping one lateral burner as a warm area can be useful. Have fun. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Looks good to me brother
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Yes sir brother looks great.. you gonna love it 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Great start! As @bgebrent said staging is everything with these cooks and the Blackstone in general. Fried rice has been one of our favorite cooks and after half a dozen times I feel like I'm just getting it figured out. Keep on rocking it! 
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Appreciate the comments folks....we eat hibachi quite a bit, so I tried to act like I knew what I was doing.  With momma out there screaming you forgot this, you used too much butter (unheard of saying), use this sauce....man worse then a back seat driver. 

A few things I noticed, the drip pan didn't work as I thought (maybe not completely level.  I may have to bring/make a couple shims to make sure the grease flows down that way.  Wasn't too much of a problem, only when I got the canal jammed full of burnt goodies. 

I think I need to adjust the air intakes, they were wide open and the burners weren't heating up appropriately when I was seasoning it, so I closed them completely.  Guess I need to open them a little because even with the gas set on low, it has a purty good fire...

I may do some pancakes/bacon/sausage this AM....
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Jai-Bo said:
    Appreciate the comments folks....we eat hibachi quite a bit, so I tried to act like I knew what I was doing.  With momma out there screaming you forgot this, you used too much butter (unheard of saying), use this sauce....man worse then a back seat driver. 

A few things I noticed, the drip pan didn't work as I thought (maybe not completely level.  I may have to bring/make a couple shims to make sure the grease flows down that way.  Wasn't too much of a problem, only when I got the canal jammed full of burnt goodies. 

I think I need to adjust the air intakes, they were wide open and the burners weren't heating up appropriately when I was seasoning it, so I closed them completely.  Guess I need to open them a little because even with the gas set on low, it has a purty good fire...

I may do some pancakes/bacon/sausage this AM....
    @Jai-Bo

Glad you are having fun with it.  If you have flame problems, the likely cause is the propane tank valve and/or regulator.  It's all safety related.  I end up shutting the LP tank valve, turning off all burners, disconnecting hose from tank, waiting 30 seconds, reconnect hose, open tank light burner.  Usually that takes care of weak flame issues.

Once you get the Blackstone level or in a position where grease flows to your trap, you will notice another flaw.

Here is a fix for that from @blasting :

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories

Keep having fun!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm bringing my Blackstone to the Midwest Eggfest this morning. The Blackstone will actually see more work than the egg during the fest. The egg will be used in each cook but most of the prep will be done on the Blackstone. 

You will find how much the Blackstone compliments the Egg. Definitely get the Blackstone fired up for some pancakes. It's a pancake machine around here. The wife and I will be making crepes this morning. Your bacon and sausage will only help with your seasoning.

Congrats on the Blackstone and the grub looks great above!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584

@Jai-Bo

Glad you are having fun with it.  If you have flame problems, the likely cause is the propane tank valve and/or regulator.  It's all safety related.  I end up shutting the LP tank valve, turning off all burners, disconnecting hose from tank, waiting 30 seconds, reconnect hose, open tank light burner.  Usually that takes care of weak flame issues.

Once you get the Blackstone level or in a position where grease flows to your trap, you will notice another flaw.

Here is a fix for that from @blasting :

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories

Keep having fun!

Fantastic! Thanks fer the input!