Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enameled dutch oven on BGE question

Options
Would you ever cook with a good enameled CI dutch oven in your BGE (such as a Staud or Le Creuset)?  Do you think the smoke would discolor or otherwise damage the cookware?
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    when i just had the le creuset it went in the egg, long soak it cleaned up fine.i use a cheap enameled dutch from marshalls and a similar lodge mostlty now. in the egg the cheap ones just as good, on a  descent simmer plate the expensive one shines. my cheap ones have a metal lid handle, my expensive one is plastic ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I use Le Creuset pans in the Egg a lot, but use the same ones and keep them for Egg use as they do get stained and I can't be bothered to clean them every time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I don't buy those fancy pants brands - I'd be too worried about chipping them.

I have a enameled pan that was a wedding gift to my folks in 1967 - I use it at least weekly outside.  I have lots of other pieces that have been just fine.

If you're buying the pricey stuff, I'd imagine it would be fine, but make sure the handle is safe to the temp you plan on cooking at.  Sometimes pit temps can get away and melt an otherwise safe handle.
    Phoenix 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Sure.  You can clean them.  It's fine to use until you get yourself a Lodge DO.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Thanks y'all.  I may just go buy a less expensive DO just for the egg.
    Memphis, TN 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    blasting said:
    I don't buy those fancy pants brands - I'd be too worried about chipping them.

I have a enameled pan that was a wedding gift to my folks in 1967 - I use it at least weekly outside.  I have lots of other pieces that have been just fine.

If you're buying the pricey stuff, I'd imagine it would be fine, but make sure the handle is safe to the temp you plan on cooking at.  Sometimes pit temps can get away and melt an otherwise safe handle.
    They look good worn / chipped! I normally buy Le Creuset or Denby enameled at the outlet shops as seconds here in the UK, a lot cheaper. 
  • kbr718
    Options
    I use my Le Creuset on the egg with no problem.
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can get a cheaper one at Costco or Sams or "off-brands" pretty much anywhere. I prefer enameled as a lot of what I cook in it is acidic, but a regular lodge will fine too as long as you are doing really long cooks in it with tomatoes/vinegar or storing stuff overnight in it(which is what I typically do).
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    You can get a cheaper one at Costco or Sams or "off-brands" pretty much anywhere. I prefer enameled as a lot of what I cook in it is acidic, but a regular lodge will fine too as long as you are doing really long cooks in it with tomatoes/vinegar or storing stuff overnight in it(which is what I typically do).
    I also prefer enameled.
    Memphis, TN 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    BGE now has two enameled dutch ovens.  One little round one, and a larger oval one.  The oval one fits perfectly in the large, so you can put it almost against the edge and still have over half you cooking surface free (and can still close the dome.)  Plus, the lid doubles as an au gratin dish.  VERY nice and half the price as Le Creuset.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bar keepers friend will make it look brand new again. The enamel CI is the way to go IMO. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Careful with the BKFriend. It can dull the finish of enameled cookware. Has on mine anyway. Great on SS though!

I haven't used it much, and not on the egg at all, but I recently bought a 6.5 Qt Tramontina enameled DO from Sam's Club. Has an oven proof stainless knob on the lid so no worries there. Would have preferred a bail handle too, but I've never seen one on enameled pots.

Regularly $40, it was on sale for $30 plus 10% non-member markup. II bought a cream colored one. Probably a mistake. =)
    Image result for tramontina enameled dutch oven

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Careful with the BKFriend. It can dull the finish of enameled cookware. Has on mine anyway. Great on SS though!

I haven't used it much, and not on the egg at all, but I recently bought a 6.5 Qt Tramontina enameled DO from Sam's Club. Has an oven proof stainless knob on the lid so no worries there. Would have preferred a bail handle too, but I've never seen one on enameled pots.

Regularly $40, it was on sale for $30 plus 10% non-member markup. II bought a cream colored one. Probably a mistake. =)
    Image result for tramontina enameled dutch oven

The dullness goes away when you rub the stuff off the piece. LOL! I haven't experienced your issue. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Thanks all for great advise - I did go ahead and use a enameled CI in the egg.  I made the pepper stout beef that has floated around for a while:it turned out tasty
    The Dutch oven looks like it will clean up without a problem.
    Memphis, TN 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Looks great m_EGG.  I bought a Staub just like that last week.  Found it for 60% off at Tuesday Morning.  Been baking bread in it - good to know I can put it on the egg. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    TN_Egger - that is a great price.  The Williams Sonoma outlet in Memphis has Staub and Le Crueset at 40% off usually.  I have never seen them at 60% off.  
    Memphis, TN 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Meh, you guys are amateurs! My 11 piece set of Le Creuset CI cost me $50! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I prefer two #12 Lodges with legs, a 6 qt Lodge enamel, 5 qt Lodge double dutch, 5 qt Le Creuset enamel, 2qt Le Creuset enamel, and 5qt vintage Aluminum Club....total invested, $130.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MrA46221
    Options
    Do any of you use a pot with legs right on the plate setter? What is the biggest size for a large bge?