Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Securing large & small BGE in nests in hurricane winds

I am looking for suggestions on how to secure my large and small eggs which are in nests if Irma decides to visit NC.  Moving them inside is impractical due to where they are located.  How high of wind gusts are they likely to withstand before being blown over?  

Thanks in advance.

Smoke Diver
Smoke Diver

Comments

• I would suggest the same precautions to keep them safe as you would take with your wife.  just my opinion.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Impractical or not, they (at the very least) need to be in the garage. It is a  expensive investment. Stay safe.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Here's a thought that might work (although fairly redneck):

take wratchet straps and go diagonally across and over the egg making an X across the cap and tighten down appropriately. Hopefully on a concrete slab. If so drill in some eye bolts and strap the nest down. I bet it'd stay safe.

Just get your wife out there first and say "hold my beer" first. 

But if if you could do the garage option definitely do that. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited September 2017
    First thing I thought of was strapping your egg down with rope and these. https://www.amazon.com/Dogit-Cork-Screw-Tie-Out-Stake-Large/dp/B001B7P83A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1504813849&sr=1-1&keywords=corkscrew+anchor
    The problem with those are after much rain they will loosen, and then the winds may flip the eggs. Is there a wall to which you could strap your eggs? What about disassembling them and bringing inside? This last idea is way out there. I assume you do not have a garage and your cars will be outside. Put the eggs between two cars, put pillows between the cars and the nest, get the cars close enough together to hold them in place and not break anything. Or between a car and a wall. I told you it was way out there. Good luck, with everything.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    used to tie mine to the deck railing near a corner post but dont think ive been in winds over maybe 80 mph. just tied the hinge to the top of the railing with a coat hanger
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    maso said:
    Here's a thought that might work (although fairly redneck):

take wratchet straps and go diagonally across and over the egg making an X across the cap and tighten down appropriately. Hopefully on a concrete slab. If so drill in some eye bolts and strap the nest down. I bet it'd stay safe.

Just get your wife out there first and say "hold my beer" first. 

But if if you could do the garage option definitely do that. 
    To add to this, I'd take the cap off. Take a piece of wood and make a cap with an eye bolt that you can run a strap through. 
  • Another kind of redneck solution:  If I had no way to anchor the eggs in place, I would take them out of the nests, take them apart as much as possible.  Invert the base so the widest part is to the ground.  Find a flat space and hope nothing falls on them.  I don't *think* they will topple that way(?).  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am looking for suggestions on how to secure my large and small eggs which are in nests if Irma decides to visit NC.  Moving them inside is impractical due to where they are located.  How high of wind gusts are they likely to withstand before being blown over?  

Thanks in advance.

Smoke Diver
    If you can't save them....hope they are insured.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Buy a few bags of sand and put it in the eggs.  Tie down the lid through the handle. 
    It's about time for another Devastated thread 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ...then tie your dog to it so he can keep it from going anywhere...
    One thing to consider if leaving them outside is flying branches, flying cows, and any other kind of debris hitting the eggs.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Disassemble the large and bring the parts inside. PITA, but not really that bad. Should be able to carry the small without taking it apart.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Disassemble the large and bring the parts inside. PITA, but not really that bad. Should be able to carry the small without taking it apart.
    Agree bud, that would be my solution....bring 'em in.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• … instinctively, my first thought. After careful analysis, changed my mind - strap em down and stay safe.

• Thanks for the comments.  If Irma gets too friendly here, I think I will bring the small egg inside and take the large egg apart and bring it inside.  It does not look like it will be too difficult to take the band off.  My large is about 10 years old.

Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • I'd zip tie that band together before removal. Maybe that's obvious. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    1. Locate adequate shelter for family members.
    2. Don't let family in there.
    3. Place eggs in said shelter

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Kidding aside, I was in a similar dilemma recently when Harvey was about to hit. The small and mini were relocated to the covered porch and surrounded with sturdier items to protect them from flying debris. I had planned to ratchet strap lawn chairs around the large, going around a tree, but we didn't get high winds... Just a sh!t-ton of rain.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Rick, and here when you left behind the corrupt, bankrupt state of Illinois I bet you never thought Mother Nature could possibly take over trying to rip you off!  =) Main thing is for you two to stay safe as the eggs can always be replaced. Take care buddy! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    … instinctively, my first thought. After careful analysis, changed my mind - strap em down and stay safe.

And you could store 10 more. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Thanks Ron.  We are near Wilmington, NC.  Looks like we may only get tropical force winds based on the latest forecast.

Rick
    Smoke Diver
  • Luckily I can move mine to the garage through the house. Even though the egg is heavy, don't wanna risk any tip overs
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Luckily I can move mine to the garage through the house. Even though the egg is heavy, don't wanna risk any tip overs
    @CigarCityEgger. Grab the hinge and PULL it backwards, DO NOT push. If it starts to tip, much easier to catch it that way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut