Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax first trip - Thoughts

Options
Took the minimax for a trip to Martha's Vineyard for a week and figured I would share a few thoughts.

1) the MM travels easy.  Though not light, getting it to my SUV was not an issue.  Given that I was wrapping the internal ceramics before packing, I pulled the internals out and moved the grill.  5 hour drive each way (or so) and no issues.  The low profile nature of the stand is key here (and an underrated feature).  No stability issues and no concerns about tipping over the course of the trip.  

2) ran 4 pound pork butt portion for 8 hours at 225 or so. Again no issues.  Perfect pulled pork. Could have done double and will run an 8 pound butt next time.    

3) No lump issues either.  Still had a great deal of lump left over at the end of the cook.  Ran approximately 8 chicken thighs direct after the pork cook prior to adding lump.  

All in all, I am very happy with the grill.

one note - this is not my primary grill (I have a primo xl and a bge med). I would not recommend the minimax as a primary grill, but as a second grill that may travel occasionally it is a phenomenal addition.

B

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    While I agree.....you should have pictures. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the MiniMax and travel. I am currently using the MiniMax as our main cooking vessel when doing long cooks on our large BGE. Chops, tenderloins, steaks, baked spuds and other veg. Plan to build a wheeled crate to hold MMX and other needed supplies when moving to and from van.
    Purpose said:
    When you say low and slow, you really mean LOW!!

I am getting too old to tend an egg at that level so my plan will include a suitable top to place the egg on when I stand the wheeled crate upright.

Oh and we like finished pictures of the cooks, plated meals without forks (for some reason) are always welcome.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Minimax is an easy traveler.  While heavy it packs up easily on the trailer hitch cargo extender.   In march we took it to mexico and it had hot coals going on in the firebox for three straight days. Fish tacos, filet mignon on the beach and of course a pork shoulder for shredded pork cabbage tacos were all huge hits
    Really love taking this guy on trips as it is always a gathering place and a source of constant great conversation....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We bought our MiniMax specifically to travel with. Whenever we camp, wherever we tailgate, this little workhorse is there. Steaks, chops, chicken, seafood, you name it, we cook it.
    I know many have said it is overkill, you could do the same with a Smoking Joe, or similar, or even over a fire pit, however, they are very wrong. I did that, for years while camping and tailgating. The MiniMax allows for so much more.
    Nothing like fresh cinnamon rolls to go with your Baileys and Coffee, first thing in the morning.
    Just saying.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We bought our MiniMax specifically to travel with. Whenever we camp, wherever we tailgate, this little workhorse is there. Steaks, chops, chicken, seafood, you name it, we cook it.
    I know many have said it is overkill, you could do the same with a Smoking Joe, or similar, or even over a fire pit, however, they are very wrong. I did that, for years while camping and tailgating. The MiniMax allows for so much more.
    Nothing like fresh cinnamon rolls to go with your Baileys and Coffee, first thing in the morning.
    Just saying.

Ron, if you were traveling with a Smoky Joe, you would have to post it in off topic.

Bailey's and coffee with cinnamon rolls? Did I miss something?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just saying.

Ron, if you were traveling with a Smoky Joe, you would have to post it in off topic.

Bailey's and coffee with cinnamon rolls? Did I miss something?
    Make coffee, set MM to 350, throw in the rolls, in a greased pan. Add topping and serve, then pour caramel bailey's into your coffee, after messing with the grill.
    Enjoy with the sunrise, and smile, smile, smile............
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    My MM goes everytime I pack the camper....we've taken it several times and just keep it in the bathroom of the camper.  it bounces around but ain't had an issue yet.  It's also the hit of the campground when I start cooking!!!  Really popular when you share the fruits of your labor!  Glad ya like it.  I probably cook on my MM as much as my large BGE
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!