Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken??

Options
Found a nice yard bird today at Publix and thought I'de try spatchcock chicken.  Need some suggestions on:  direct or indirect and what's the best the best dome temperature to shoot for?  Thanks and I look forward to the replies.  
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I prefer raised direct 350-375. Raised indirect at 375 works too. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like it raised direct at about 400°. There was some discussion yesterday about raising it higher still and using even higher temps for crispier skin. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

Other folks swear by indirect at lower temps. I tried that a couple of times and didn't care for it at all.

Pick one. Next time, pick the other one. Then decide what you prefer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    What style chicken you looking for? Grilled = raised direct 400-450° for about 1hr.  Smoked = raised direct 250° for about 5ish hours.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.

Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.

Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    I do raised direct at 400.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I find at 375 raised direct, it takes about 35-40 minutes to reach 180 dark, 160 breast. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Another raised (high in the dome) direct at around 375*F (wherever it lands).  For crispy skin give it an overnight air-dry in the fridge.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.