Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lump for your buck?

Options
I'm getting ready to take a break from RO for a while. The bags have been dustier lately and it just doesn't smell that good anymore. What is a solid alternative, go-to for lump? 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Kingsford
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Matchlite
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like anything mequite
    Options
    Kingsford
    Sadly, I have been using Kingsford for most of the season. On the bright side, the bags contain virtually no fines.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It would appear you are a day late with this question.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Cowboy mixed with instant light Kingsford. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hopefully you realize most posts are yanking your chain tonight. While Rockwood is the sweetheart brand on this forum - AND it is good - just realize your bad experience with Royal Oak isn't as common as what you have found. There are ways to test bags of RO before you buy them to check to determine if you are buying bad bags which have been bean bag tossed by gorillas and/or probably came from foreign countries. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    RRP said:
    Hopefully you realize most posts are yanking your chain tonight. While Rockwood is the sweetheart brand on this forum - AND it is good - just realize your bad experience with Royal Oak isn't as common as what you have found. There are ways to test bags of RO before you buy them to check to determine if you are buying bad bags which have been bean bag tossed by gorillas and/or probably came from foreign countries. 
    What tests are you talking about?
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    RRP said:
    There are ways to test bags of RO before you buy them to check to determine if you are buying bad bags which have been bean bag tossed by gorillas and/or probably came from foreign countries. 
    Yup, just look for the "Made in USA" in the upper-righthand corner.  As to whether it was "beanbag tossed by gorillas", check the inflation pressure and whether they were shipped thru New England; glance around for cellphone shards, also.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I am a big fan of the KJ Big Block. Check to see if Costco is doing a roadshow near you.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    RRP said:
    well for openers if you can find a retailer who sells it off the pallet sitting on the floor instead of some clerks stacking it on shelves is a good first step. Then look for Made in America printed on the bag. A quick visual check will tell you if the bag looks damaged or seems to be "bottom heavy". Then pick up the bag and turn it upside down while listening. The bag should feel somewhat solid and if you feel plus hear a loud shifting sound of lump inside there is a good chance it is small pieces. There will be some shifting, but not much. You should hear a "clinking" sound as lump has a hollow ring to it that experience will teach you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    It would appear you are a day late with this question.
    Day late and a dollar short 
  • Powak
    Options

GrillSgt said:
    Cowboy mixed with instant light Kingsford. 
    Now that's a chemical cocktail right there.
  • Powak
    Options

RRP said:
    JNDATHP said:
    RRP said:
    well for openers if you can find a retailer who sells it off the pallet sitting on the floor instead of some clerks stacking it on shelves is a good first step. Then look for Made in America printed on the bag. A quick visual check will tell you if the bag looks damaged or seems to be "bottom heavy". Then pick up the bag and turn it upside down while listening. The bag should feel somewhat solid and if you feel plus hear a loud shifting sound of lump inside there is a good chance it is small pieces. There will be some shifting, but not much. You should hear a "clinking" sound as lump has a hollow ring to it that experience will teach you.
    Last two bags I've got right now are USA bags buy something just seemed a little off. Could be the older lump with drippings in it. Supposedly BGE coal is made by RO but I bought a bag the other day and loaded up the firebox with it. It was like night and day. Egg smelled damn good like a wood grill at a restaurant 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I did a "Buyer Beware - RO" post a few days ago. If there is no "Made in USA" on the bag then it is crap. Stinky, smoky and burns hotter and faster than the USA RO. Find "made in USA" RO or switch to Rockwood.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yeah I was joking about Kingsford.  I switched over to Rockwood awhile ago.  No plans to use anything else anytime soon.

Rockwood is also made in the USA, for what it's worth.  No need to check the bag.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ozark Oak 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Powak
    Options
    Yeah I was joking about Kingsford.  I switched over to Rockwood awhile ago.  No plans to use anything else anytime soon.

Rockwood is also made in the USA, for what it's worth.  No need to check the bag.
    What website has the best deal on RW? I feel like others have mentioned some site in older posts where you spend 60 bucks and get free shipping on RW.
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    I have two choices for Rockwood "near" me.  One is 45 miles away, the other is 90 miles away.  Both options have resulted in bags with about 30% small chunks.  I'm sticking to Royal Oak from the store two miles away from now on.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    LesMo said:
    I have two choices for Rockwood "near" me.  One is 45 miles away, the other is 90 miles away.  Both options have resulted in bags with about 30% small chunks.  I'm sticking to Royal Oak from the store two miles away from now on.
    you get 2 bags of royal oak for less $ than one bag of rw 

my last 3 bags of rw from fire craft were pulverized- now that they raised the price definitely won't order there again 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Powak said:

What website has the best deal on RW? I feel like others have mentioned some site in older posts where you spend 60 bucks and get free shipping on RW.
    I don't know we're lucky to have an ACE in town that carries it and I just grab it from them whenever I need some.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    For the buck was part of the original question 

your choices are pretty much 10-13$ royal oak or 20-26$ everything else

* kj lump at roadshow is usually 30 for 2 bags. I don't like that lump though too but many here do
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Firecraft has free shipping past 100 bucks.  I bought 5 bags and note 3 bags fits perfect in a box.  One bag did seem beat up a little.  More small sand not as much large lump.  The other four have been great.  If your going that route.  I'd buy six to keep the boxes stuffed and get the free shipping
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Where are you located? If near Holyoke Mass, you can buy a 30 bag pallet of Wicked Good lump for $13+ per 20 lb bag. You can pick it up at their distribution center in Holyoke. I just bought 10 bags that way. 3-way split with two other guys. Retail price was about $24 per bag last I looked, but that's been a few years.

I think they'll ship a whole pallet to wherever you want, but I imagine that could get pricey.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I just think the best fuel for the money is the best fuel period. That's Rockwood hands down. The others are adequate for sure, but for my money, I want the best fuel in there when cooking my meals. The coal is an ingredient. For cooks like pork butt, it is less essential than with say chicken or pizza or just about anything that is not heavily smoked. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Agreed. Also, I have noticed that less Rockwood is needed than when I used Royal Oak. Go figure.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • MrA46221
    Options
    So is the BGE limb like Craker Jacks? If so I just found a metal surprise today.