Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-BGE Kamado Grill Made in Japan

Options
For anyone in the Kansas City area, saw this guy on CL and got my attention. Not sure if it's worth a 6 hour round trip for me to pick it up though. Curious on what others thoughts are on these.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/d/kamado-cooker/6261573724.html

BGE XL
NWArkansas

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Definitely not worth with 6 hour round trip. They are made out of clay. So you don't necessarily want to go anything above 400 degrees with them in fear of cracking. I know a forum member here bought a couple for around $10/piece at a yard sale and restored them. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Priced kinda high if you ask me. I'd be surprised if the fire ring and/or firebox isn't cracked as that's the norm on the old kamados.  My Imperial Kamado ring was in two pieces and the firebox in 3 pieces and I ended up replacing them with BGE counterparts before letting a friend have it for cheap.  I'm sure Richard FL can share his experiences with you.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    edited September 2017
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Priced kinda high if you ask me. I'd be surprised if the fire ring and/or firebox isn't cracked as that's the norm on the old kamados.  My Imperial Kamado ring was in two pieces and the firebox in 3 pieces and I ended up replacing them with BGE counterparts before letting a friend have it for cheap.  I'm sure Richard FL can share his experiences with you.  
    Look at the listing. Fire ring is in one piece. That whole thing actually looks to be in pretty good shape. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Looks like it's in pretty good shape.   I passed on one in equally good shape for 150 last year.  I emailed the mothership to see if they wanted it, but they already have one on display.

Phoenix 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Did the original BGE look just like that rig? I can't say I've ever seen a picture of the first official BGE.