Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Salsa with Hatch green chiles

500 Posts: 3,177
chiles, onions, cherry tomatoes, can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, garlic, sriracha, Tabasco chipotle sauce, franks redhot, lime, salt, and pepper. All pulsed in the food processor. Tasty. The chiles raw were like green peppers. Was not impressed about what all the fuss was about. But when roasted the flavor comes out of the peppers. Tasty. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @500 Great looking salsa right there.  Toss that on some eggs this AM and you are off and running.  And thanks for the insight on the hatch chilis as I had wondered the same thing.  Roast 'em if you got 'em.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks amazing. Good to know about roasting. If I ever get my hands on some that is how I will do them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Yep. Blister the skins. Soften the flesh. Bag or cover with plastic wrap in a bowl. Peel the skins and add to whatever dish. I wanna do chicken enchiladas with green chile sauce now. 
    Member since 2009
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    +++^^^^+++ Yes. Roast them until they are completely charred. A raw green chili isn't anything to write home about. Roasted green chilis won't change your life either..... but they are orders of magnitude better than canned green chilis. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @500 Great looking salsa right there.  Toss that on some eggs this AM and you are off and running.  And thanks for the insight on the hatch chilis as I had wondered the same thing.  Roast 'em if you got 'em.
    Took Lou's advice and made a breakfast sandwich of leftover grilled burger, bacon, the grilled Salsa, and a fried egg on toast. I'm ready to start the day now. 
    Member since 2009
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     Nice!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Did it hold you to lunch?
    New Albany, Ohio 

Did it hold you to lunch?
    I'm on EST so it was a "brunch" timeframe but I didn't have a Bloody Mary so I can't call it a true brunch. 
    Member since 2009
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2017
    lUV hATCH, GREW UP IN aLBUQUERQUE IN THE EARLY '50'S AND WE GOT THEM FROM THE FIELDS IN SEASON.  hERE IS A GREEN CHILI PORK RECIPE i HAVE BEEN DOING MOST OF MY LIFE WITH A FEW MINOR VARIATIONS.  gREAT OVER RICE WITH FRESH TORTILLAS. imho.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962512&catid=1

I also like to take them and make a quiche with the green chiles with a sharp cheddar cheese.
    Just did 15#'s last week, got them fresh for $.98lb.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Make a hatch chile sauce(Chuy's is a good base to start from) and add it to everything, sooooooo good. 
    lUV hATCH, GREW UP IN aLBUQUERQUE IN THE EARLY '50'S AND WE GOT THEM FROM THE FIELDS IN SEASON.  hERE IS A GREEN CHILI PORK RECIPE i HAVE BEEN DOING MOST OF MY LIFE WITH A FEW MINOR VARIATIONS.  gREAT OVER RICE WITH FRESH TORTILLAS. imho.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=962512&catid=1

I also like to take them and make a quiche with the green chiles with a sharp cheddar cheese.
    Just did 15#'s last week, got them fresh for $.98lb.
    Looks tasty Richard. Thanks. 
    Member since 2009