Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I need to buy my daughter a vehicle

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    HeavyG said:
    Television commercials tell me that if you love your children you should give them Subaru.
    The more $$$ the more love.  Society taught me that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    HeavyG said:
    Television commercials tell me that if you love your children you should give them Subaru.
    Especially if your children are lesbians.  I also learned that from watching television.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Legume said:
    Totally different than what you're shopping for, but my kids drove used volvos initially.  Safe, reliable, affordable and disposable.  I don't have any stats to back it up, but if memory serves, most all of my kids friends and my friends kids have wrecked cars between 16 and 20.
    There used to be a big gap safety-wise between the Volvos and Benz's and everything else.  But over the past decade that has essentially closed to the point where there's not a huge gap with most cars in terms of safety in a crash.

There are other safety features that are valuable though, like blind-side warning indicators, autonomous braking, etc., that help guard against getting into a crash in the first place.
    For same year cars, totally true.  The older the car, the greater the difference.  The collision avoidance features are nice, but I don't know how much they will prevent accidents, especially with kids. Hard to say.  We just bought our first car with all the avoidance stuff and it's an interesting driving experience.  If I could've afforded nice, new cars for my kids I may have done differently.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I might just buy her a 10 speed. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens

Simpler times. 

• johnkitchens
    Kids are spoiled rotten.  You buy them a nice first car (trophy) and you're setting the bar way to low for them to succeed. Make them earn an upgrade through hard work and good grades in school and life.
    I certainly can't argue with that. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Plus they're probably gonna wreck it.
    Kids are spoiled rotten.  You buy them a nice first car (trophy) and you're setting the bar way to low for them to succeed. Make them earn an upgrade through hard work and good grades in school and life.
    Maybe, but sure is fun getting your kids nice stuff.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Holy hell I agree with NOLA?  the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! 

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    Holy hell I agree with NOLA?  the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! 
    And MEXICO will pay for the WALL!!!
    Maybe, but sure is fun getting your kids nice stuff.
    TROLL!!!
  • Holy hell I agree with NOLA?  the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! 
    But at least if we like our doctor we can keep them. 

Period!

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    If you like your doctor, you probably don't have the best doctor.
    Holy hell I agree with NOLA?  the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! 
    But at least if we like our doctor we can keep them. 

Period!
    You can, just cost more .... oh wait, unless the quit because the hassle of Obamacare, like my kids pediatrician did.
  • nolaegghead
    (because he's an "enabler")  Capiche?

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Rabbit hooooolllllleeeee!!!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2017
    Speaking of kids not caring for stuff.  Went to the pantry to get my fresh Costco size bag of doritos.  My child opened it, ate some, then put it back with the top open.  Now instead of enjoying fresh doritos, I have 30oz of stale doritos.  WTH!?  I have failed as a parent.
  • nolaegghead
    Speaking of kids not caring for stuff.  Went to the pantry to get my fresh Costco size bag of doritos.  My child opened it, ate some, then put it back with the top open.  Now instead of enjoying the greens, I have 30oz of stale doritos.  WTH!?  I have failed as a parent.
    Pro-tip, Oz.... put a couple of handfulls of that stale corn-crack on a plate and microwave until you start seeing dioxin formation and the corn-product crisps up some.   They're like NEW!!!  Crispy and yummy!
    HeavyG said:
    "Dr." Phil taught me that throwing $$$ at your children often shows parental guilt by just showering them with expensive toys instead of actually spending time with them.

On the other hand what parents want to actually spend time with a teenager and what teenager actually wants to spend time with their parents.

So really it could be a win-win for both parties.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    "Dr." Phil taught me that throwing $$$ at your children often shows parental guilt by just showering them with expensive toys instead of actually spending time with them.

On the other hand what parents want to actually spend time with a teenager and what teenager actually wants to spend time with their parents.

So really it could be a win-win for both parties.
    I like my teen right up until he says something that makes me remember he's a total arsehole. Then my wife reminds me that I'm also an arsehole. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The maintenance and repair cost on BMWs will be high, Don't know Lexus and Infiniti except that they are the higher end of their respective Japanese car companies. Have you looked at the RAV4? They even have a hybrid version of it. Toyota is reliable and less likely to breakdown given how careless teen girls are with maintenance. Pay for all of the electronic warning features like blind spot alert and automatic braking, it will help on insurance. Also maybe a AAA membership for breakdowns and flat tires.
    You haven't met many teen boys, have you?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well when I was a teenage boy we could: change our own tires, change the oil, put on brake pads, change spark plugs etc. When I came home from college my younger sister had a new used 4 cylinder mustang. The oil was like tar and I had to use WD 40 to get the spark plugs out to change them. I don't think that you want your teen age daughters to depend on random teenage boys to change their tires but that's your business.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I might be married to a girl who went 30,000 before her first oil change in a turbo eclipse.
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    All good cars.  My daughter just turned 16 and we ended up buying a 2017 civic ex.  Got it for about $21k otd.  Our decision was basically the total cost of ownership we expected to have with it.  We've had a Honda the past 20 years and never had an issue.  

Good luck on your purchase! Insurance sucks too when we added her. 
    San Diego, CA
  • nolaegghead
    I might be married to a girl who went 30,000 before her first oil change in a turbo eclipse.
    I admire any efforts to destroy a Mitsubishi Eclipse.  Those things should never have been allowed to exist. You did well.
    First, you are very generous. Second, I would echo much of the advice here and consider buying a used car. I would also recommend downgrading the level of car you plan on purchasing, those are really nice rides. If stuck on that level of vehicle go used for sure. Used car prices should be very reasonable right now as the car industry in general is in a precarious position with more and more cars coming off lease. Teens always destroy cars, that should guide your choices. Good luck!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'd track down a nice used 4Runner and be done with it.  I'll be damned if I'd put one of my kids in a fast vehicle as a new driver.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    My daughter just got her license Tuesday. Suddenly I feel guilty about the 2009 Subaru Forester I'm looking at for her.
    Don't.  With any luck my daughter's first car (she turns 10 next month), will be the '03 Civic that is my current daily driver.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD