Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just purchased my second egg and I am not happy with it

I have had my large egg for about 5 years now, and I decided it was time for a little more real estate because when cooking for a few people and doing sides, things get crowded and its a pain to do stuff at different temperatures. So fast forward to today when I picked up my second  large egg and opened it up.

The large eggs now come with a hinge like the ones on the XL egg. the only reason why I didnt get an xl for my second egg was because I can not stand the hinges on them. Also the handle now has "tabs" on top of it that extend up and over the lid of the egg, Im only assuming that this is so that if your band bolt becomes lose you cant open the egg and dump the lid over the egg onto the ground. my final complaint is that all of the screws included in the assembly kit are very short with only three or so threads extending past the band into the acorn nut. 

There is one thing that I did like, which is that BGE is now shipping the eggs out with the large face thermometer. 

Im not really sure what to do, do I contact BGE and see if they have any of the older hinges, bands, and a handle, or do I give up and live with the XL style hinges and update my older egg? I just had my old one appart, redid the gasket, and cleaned everything so it looks brand new. Im really not happy with this new style hinge at all. 

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I'd suggest giving it a little time.  Change is always awkward at first.  Give yourself some time to get used to it.  There is a good chance it will grow on you.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    the problem is that the eggs sit less than a foot away from each other in the same table, and the fact that they are slightly different will bring out the inner OCD in me big time! haha 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Other long time members that have upgraded to the new band really like them.
    let your OCD be upset wih the OLD, OUTDATED band on your old Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tybenj
    edited August 2017
    Jeremiah said:
    So I'm guessing you don't like the color either? 

Troll....
    nope 

here is is, the one on the right is just sitting lower because its on the ceramic feet and I havent slid the table nest under it yet. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Luckily when I got my two larges they were identical. It would drive me nuts if they were different in anyway. I might be able to live with the hinges being different, but they would both have to have identical gauges. 

I drive myself crazy with this. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Buy a new set of bands for your old egg to solve the OCD argument 
  • johnkitchens
    Buy a new set of bands for your old egg to solve the OCD argument 
    That is what I would do. 

• tybenj
    Luckily when I got my two larges they were identical. It would drive me nuts if they were different in anyway. I might be able to live with the hinges being different, but they would both have to have identical gauges. 

I already got a second black smokeware gauge for the second one.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

hope you don't have a warranty claim in your future! I swear of all my eggs - even the ones which came with the same pieces in the same box there were some slight differences in color.

Besides that between two new domes, one new base and 2 "rain caps" as they were once called there are definite color differences!  BTW sunlight does NOT fade them since the color is fired ceramic, not paint.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    RRP said:

hope you don't have a warranty claim in your future! I swear of all my eggs - even the ones which came with the same pieces in the same box there were some slight differences in color.

Besides that between two new domes, one new base and 2 "rain caps" as they were once called there are definite color differences!  BTW sunlight does NOT fade them since the color is fired ceramic, not paint.
    So, pigments in glaze don't fade?  
  • johnkitchens
    RRP said:

I hope not either. It would drive me nuts. I wanted to get an XL to go with my large, but I wanted them to be even. I know I am crazy, but I can't help it. 

• johnkitchens

Even. It has to be even!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Looks to me like the one on the right is about a 1/4" closer to the edge.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnkitchens
    HeavyG said:
    Looks to me like the one on the right is about a 1/4" closer to the edge.
    You are trying to kill me. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
     BTW sunlight does NOT fade them since the color is fired ceramic, not paint.

I'm not an expert, but THAT is what I have always been told.  OTOH I have some fired ceramic vases and planters which I personally made 54 years ago that have sat in direct sunlight for all these daylight years and the fired color is still vibrant! 

Besides - have you seen some of the MULTIPLE century old ceramic pieces in museums?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I will trade you for the new set. My Bands are on great shape.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    edited August 2017
    @tybenj - I'm sure there are hundreds of members here that would trade you their old style bands for your new ones. Problem solved. 
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • I have a brand new "old style " hinge. I'll trade ya. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
     BTW sunlight does NOT fade them since the color is fired ceramic, not paint.

I'm not an expert, but THAT is what I have always been told.  OTOH I have some fired ceramic vases and planters which I personally made 54 years ago that have sat in direct sunlight for all these daylight years and the fired color is still vibrant! 

Besides - have you seen some of the MULTIPLE century old ceramic pieces in museums?
    Remind me to NEVER ask you ANOTHER question. Gawd damn!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Even. It has to be even!

@johnkitchens   John, you know I've always liked your set up, but... the handle on the left is a lot redder than the deep brown one on the right.  

It's probably just me.

Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    blasting said:

Even. It has to be even!

@johnkitchens   John, you know I've always liked your set up, but... the handle on the left is a lot redder than the deep brown one on the right.  

It's probably just me.

It isn't just you. The handle on the one had faded, but because they were the same handles I made my peace with it. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    blasting said:

Even. It has to be even!

It's probably just me.

It isn't just you. The handle on the one had faded, but because they were the same handles I made my peace with it. 
    It's ok, they're the same on the inside John.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128

Even. It has to be even!
    If you're that OCD, you need to center that table under the window. It's not even. 

• Even. It has to be even!
    If you're that OCD, you need to center that table under the window. It's not even. 
    Exactly what I was gonna say. And the chevy inside isnt center of the window, either. 

Little Rock, AR

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited August 2017
    First world problems . I have $2000 worth of ceramic grills and I don't like the way they look next to each other. Lol
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • johnkitchens
    I don't have room to center the table under the window. I wish I did.

Exactly what I was gonna say. And the chevy inside isnt center of the window, either. 
    If only I didn't need steps to get into the house. That is the only thing keeping it from being even in the window. 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i have an old band that's fine, just got a new one under warranty while I could.  if you pay shipping its yours. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I don't have room to center the table under the window. I wish I did.

If only I didn't need steps to get into the house. That is the only thing keeping it from being even in the window. 

Tear it down and start over! The horror! LOL! Nice place 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    I'm a pretty gracious guy.  Just give me your new egg and I will carry the burden and pain of having mismatched eggs.  You don't even have to thank me.  That's just the type of guy I am! ;)