Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Life changing experience

pgprescott
pgprescott Posts: 14,544
purchased a zero-turn mower a couple weeks ago. What the heck was I thinking. Should have done this years ago. Good grief! Simply awesome!

Comments

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    I have had mine for 3 years and would never go back to a tractor style again. 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    best lawn mower going, especially if you have trees......

just gotta figure out how to drink a beer in one...

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pgprescott
    tjv said:

t
    Need one of those hats with a straw! So damn fast you can only drink one or two!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @pgprescott - you just need a bigger lawn  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I thought you were gonna say you finally bought a Sous vide machine.  

Regarding the miwer, I have a Troy Bilt Pony.   Not that impressed w it, but it came at a greatly reduced price w the house!  

Enjoy the zero turn!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    lousubcap said:
    @pgprescott - you just need a bigger lawn  ;)
    I have a rental property that's about three times my own. That was the driving factor. I'm on the wrong side of bigger.  
  • pgprescott
    thetrim said:
    I thought you were gonna say you finally bought a Sous vide machine.  

Regarding the miwer, I have a Troy Bilt Pony.   Not that impressed w it, but it came at a greatly reduced price w the house!  

Enjoy the zero turn!   
    Almost bought one during the last prime event. I'm late to the party. I need more free time. 
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    tjv said:

t
    Need one of those hats with a straw! So damn fast you can only drink one or two!
    I got it down to where I hold my beer in one hand and steer with the other it's tacks some practice but you will get it
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • Bought one last fall. Worth every penny. They should be going on sale soon.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Let's see pictures of some new paint? Mine looks like crap, so something new would look good. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2017
    My FIL has a Dixie Chopper mower. He won't let me use it. Says it is dangerously fast.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    My life changing experience was when I hired a guy to mow my yard ( I have been the yard boy for my family since I was 12 years old)  They can do in 15 mins. that would take me all day.  Life is good. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Takes practice, but you can steer with one hand. I'm out of practice...
  • tarheelmatt
    Tell us exactly how your FIL cuts your grass?
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pgprescott
    Let's see pictures of some new paint? Mine looks like crap, so something new would look good. 
    I got this one. Simplicity Courier 52. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice mower!  I'm headed the other way. I'm retiring the rider after 17yrs of solid service. I can push mow the grass at the new place in less than 10 mins. I'll end up buying a Honda. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Tell us exactly how your FIL cuts your grass?
    Well, I'm usually not here. He also doesn't drink. At least not in front of anyone. He's gotten slack on the trimming, but does blow off the driveway. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nice mower!  I'm headed the other way. I'm retiring the rider after 17yrs of solid service. I can push mow the grass at the new place in less than 10 mins. I'll end up buying a Honda. 
    Honda pusher here too. It's one of my favorite purchases behind my eggs. BUT--get the commercial mower. Not the big box store version. I got the lesser for use my moms house, big mistake; and big difference. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pgprescott
    Jeremiah said:
    Honda pusher here too. It's one of my favorite purchases behind my eggs. BUT--get the commercial mower. Not the big box store version. I got the lesser for use my moms house, big mistake; and big difference. 
    I bought a husqvarna with a Honda engine a couple years ago. Front wheel self propelled. Very happy with it. Honda is the bomb. 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Funny you posted this. I've had a zero turn for quite a few years now and love it. 2 days ago, I got a little too close to the ditch and somehow manage to pretty much roll the thing ontop myself. Motor didn't stall and blades did not shut off! It was a little sketchy. I managed to get the blades disengaged, then pushed the mower off myself... Kept cutting grass.
  • pgprescott
    Gym said:
    Funny you posted this. I've had a zero turn for quite a few years now and love it. 2 days ago, I got a little too close to the ditch and somehow manage to pretty much roll the thing ontop myself. Motor didn't stall and blades did not shut off! It was a little sketchy. I managed to get the blades disengaged, then pushed the mower off myself... Kept cutting grass.
    Scary. I definitely am aware of the commercial nature of these things. Less safety features etc. good to hear you are ok. Wow!
  • theyolksonyou
    edited August 2017
    Back when I actually did mow, I spun off into the ditch a couple of times. Never flipped. Be careful. They're heavy and will slide. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I've got this Honda. I will never buy another Murray Briggs and Stratton again. Actually, I will probably never buy another push mower again, as this one seems bulletproof. Cranks first pull, every pull, run smooth and quiet. Sharpen blade, change oil and air filter and spark plug and it is good for the season. Also I only use non-ethanol gas. Not a zero turn, but lawn is not big enough to justify one of those. Still would like to borrow the Dixie Chopper sometime.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Jeremiah said:
    I'm not a fan of big box stores for those types of purchases. Big box stores determine the price point for everything and the manufacturers have to use cheaper parts/materials etc to meet the required price points. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Zero turn is way to go... had my Exmark for 4 years...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tarheelmatt
    Nice Pete.  

Simplicity will lay some mean stripes as most have a stripe roller on the back of the deck.  

The grass up in your neck of the woods, you should have no problem with a Fenway Park look!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pgprescott
    Nice Pete.  

Simplicity will lay some mean stripes as most have a stripe roller on the back of the deck.  

The grass up in your neck of the woods, you should have no problem with a Fenway Park look!  
    Thanks, but I'm going for the Wrigley Field look! lol. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Zero turn is way to go... had my Exmark for 4 years...
    Exmark is a good brand. From what I've seen and been told, I'd look hard at one if I was in that market. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.