Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt Questions

Options
ThrasherIII
ThrasherIII Posts: 252

I have a couple of questions for the masters of Turbo Butt technology. Is this accomplished best with an indirect method and a drip pan on the place setter, or would it be better have it raised and use indirect heat with a drip pan. Last but not least what is the maximum amount of pork butt one has done successfully on a Large?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    I do all my turbo butts indirect with my PS legs up, grill on top. I foil my PS, but will also use a shallow pan underneath (on the PS) to catch the grease. I have stacked 3 butts successfully in my large, but 4 is doable if smaller. Just be sure to remove that spring clip from the dome thermometer so you can pull out the thermometer when you close your dome and then re-insert the thermometer. That way you keep from impaling the butt(s).
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Indirect unless you want a super crispy bark. I can easily fit 4 with 2 level grid. You could go more with the right setup.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ThrasherIII
    Options

Thank you I kept seeing all these raised rigs on their eggs and wasn't sure. my last one turned out looking like one of those meteorites we all see. I am shooting for that not so crusty look on the next one. will have to try a few more when the price drops below $3.49 a pound.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    ThrasherIII Publix has them for $1.99 and I think the sale lasts until next week.
    The ones I saw were small.
    Cooking on the coast
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Thank you I kept seeing all these raised rigs on their eggs and wasn't sure. my last one turned out looking like one of those meteorites we all see. I am shooting for that not so crusty look on the next one. will have to try a few more when the price drops below $3.49 a pound.

For a less crusty burnt look, make sure the rub you are using has no sugar.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI