Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little help on some Aldi Lamb.

Options
bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
Bought this today at Aldi's just cause.  I have never done lamb before and I'm sure it's not the best cut.  That being said, which direction should I go?  I have done the "perp search" and didn't get what I was looking for. 
Thanks in advance. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    From what I can gather from the label, you have a bit less than3 pounds of boneless lamb leg.

Most folks cook leg of lamb rather fast, at least 350F raised direct, and up to 450F. Just long enough to get good browning, and render some fat. The meat tends to be rather "rich".

Lamb often has a strong flavor mostly in the fat, so  that is the reason to cook it out. Its usually pretty tender,  so no reason to cook lo-n-slo to make it soft.

I'd be inclined to get some spinach and pine nuts, maybe some lemon peel gratings, and fold the meat over those.  Lots of salt and garlic powder on the outer surfaces.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Marinate it Red wine, garlic, rosemary, S&P.

I really like to do lamb reverse sear. Lamb can get really gamey and strong if 1) the fat burns, or 2) it is over done.  By reverse sear you can cook it to render off some of the fat and keep it at medium rare, and the fast sear doesn't let the fat burn (too much).

that lamb looks pretty lean.

good luck
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Salt, pepper, granulated garlic or stud it with garlic, fresh lemon juice. Lamb doesn't do well being rare. I'd cook it to at least 135.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Agree on the marinade and at least overnight - 24 hours even better. I posted a Zinfandel marinade/sauce on another lamb thread that we love. Red Zin, rosemary, garlic, s&p and some other stuff. Reserve some and reduce for a sauce. The same thread had a really cool middle eastern approach as well. Direct to get the outer sear and I don't roll or fold. We like rare lamb, but others don't; the beauty of most butterflied legs is that they have varied thickness so as you slice you naturally get a full range - rare to medium.  It's a great meal, enjoy however you cook it!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Plenty of ways to cook, we cook these often and different ways.

Lamb isn't weird unless you never eat it.

For the most palatable method across the demographic of people not familiar with it - make kabobs.

Cut into 1.5" cubes.  Make some marinade by blending olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.   Put the cubes and marinade together in a freezer bag and store overnight in the fridge.

Next day, dry off the lamb with a towel.  Skewer, cook hot until medium rare.

You will love them, one of our favorite.

You can also do a roast.  I've done SV and finished direct.  Or you can just do direct or indirect to medium rare.  We don't mind rare, but that's not for everyone.

Lamb fat is a bit strong, but I have to admit I like the outside crispy, the fat doesn't bother me at all.

Serve with some tzatziki sauce, or some simple sour cream with horseradish.

A real treat.
    Options
    If I were cooking it right now, with stuff I have on hand:
    Make a paste with olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, dried herbs. 
    Grill raised direct at around 400 until 125. 
    Let rest, and serve with horseradish sauce and a bottle of Zin.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    roll that sucker up around some goat cheese mixed with spinach and fresh herbs.  tie it.  brush with olive oil and put a bunch more garlic and herbs.

roast it indirect.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bucky925
    Options
    blind99 said:
    roll that sucker up around some goat cheese mixed with spinach and fresh herbs.  tie it.  brush with olive oil and put a bunch more garlic and herbs.

roast it indirect.

I do believe this is what I will try....thanks for the input guys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would do the kabobs, medium rare with a good sear on the outside and the balsamic marinade nola posted, cant go wrong.  make sure you only make what your going to eat, lamb does not reheat well. if you have a grinder the kafta kabob recipe on this site is incredible, or make a ground lamb sheppards pie. the drippings make an incredibly rich delicious gravy, my favorite for homemade gravies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @bucky925 - Found the thread I was thinking of and pasted below.  We like both the zinfandel and now the Turkish yogurt marinades for lamb.  Totally different flavor profiles - just depends on your mood and/or pallet.  Enjoy!  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2156675#Comment_2156675
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • bucky925
    Options
    Epic fail.   The after taste was terrible !  We went out to eat. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    Was it the taste, texture or all of the above and more that led to the fail?  Asking because if you have never had lamb before that it has a "much different" flavor profile. 
    Like the first bourbon or scotch- sometimes the first go 'round misses the mark.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bucky925
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Was it the taste, texture or all of the above and more that led to the fail?  Asking because if you have never had lamb before that it has a "much different" flavor profile. 
    Like the first bourbon or scotch- sometimes the first go 'round misses the mark.  FWIW-
    I have only had lamb 2 times before tonight.   One I liked and one I didn't .  I would have dug the stuffing out and ate it like a ice-cream (did it like a pork tenderloin ).  But the after taste of the lamb was not applaling to me or the wife.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Maybe it's the Aldi's stuff.  I dunno. 
    Options
    Some people like it, some people don't. You can't cook it past medium or it is not as good. I'll eat it rare, no problem. I like rack of lamb a lot more than leg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.