Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Turbo Butt on 2nd level in Large - it's huge.

SamIAm2
SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
Thought I'd move the @StormBringer raised grid setup to my large and try Turbo Butt. Raised the bottom grid with firebricks and adjusted the rig to allow the butt to fit on the 13" grid and not touch the dome.

Cooked it at 350 degrees for 3 hours and debated wrapping it in foil. Went lazy and just left it. I did move the probe to a different part because I didn't believe the IT was at 165 after only 3 hours. It wasn't. :)  

I let it go another 3 hours and then pulled it off at 205 degrees internal. Let it rest for an hour then pulled and put drippings and some vinegar based sauce a local carpenter makes in the pans.

Brought to church potluck lunch today and it was GONE. Thanks for looking.
Ubi panis, ibi patria.
Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Great adaptation and result.  Nailed it for sure.  I would inhale that.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Damn nice Sunday meal!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SamIAm2
    Thanks @lousubcap I just followed @Mickey's older post up to the foil part. Bark was really hard, but tasty, in some areas so maybe foil would be a good idea. 
    @Mattman3969 thanks for your kind words.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Best pulled pork is where you have a little bit of bark on almost every piece like that. Looks awesome.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    That looks awesome.  A spiritual meal, for sure.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • SamIAm2
    @Hibby - I tried to separate meat in the pans so that most of the bark was in one. There are some folks, not me, who don't care for the taste of bark on anything. Wasn't successful there but I guess it didn't matter. =)
    @DonWW - Thanks for your kind words. As usual with potluck meals and the meat I bring, it just vanished ... rapidly. Most times I don't get to eat anything I cook unless I leave some at home :o
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @SamIAm2 said: Most times I don't get to eat anything I cook unless I leave some at home o
    True for me and I would guess the great majority of those who offer their groceries outside the house.  Great gesture and obviously not the first time.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    lousubcap said:
    @SamIAm2 said: Most times I don't get to eat anything I cook unless I leave some at home o
    True for me and I would guess the great majority of those who offer their groceries outside the house.  Great gesture and obviously not the first time.  

On the other hand, I do get to eat their food so it works out most of the time.
    I just have to stay away from the desserts table. Some of those ladies have way too much talent.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.