Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JB Weld platesetter - safe?

My platesetter developed a crack down the middle and eventually broke in half, taking 2 legs with it. I have managed to jb weld it back together and it looks fine and seems solid but I am worried to use it. I see a lot of older post about JB weld with some out and back on whether or not it's okay for the plate setter. I'll be using it on low and slow cooks of course, but that close to the fire I am not sure if it would exceed the safe temp for jb? I cured it out on my gas grill at 400 and did not notice any bad odors but still a little uneasy. Thoughts?

I gave real thought to buying an AR but having a hard time justifying the expense and honestly can't choose between the R&B or Customer Combo.. I will probably end up just buying another platesetter for now if this one is not safe. 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've read various opinions. If you egg a lot and money isn't a problem... Just get what you want. I'm sure JB Weld is no worse than an asbestos gasket. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wrap the plate setter in foil as a radiant barrier, and you should be fine.
    @nolaegghead.... Same aluminum foil you made your hat out of? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I would just buy a new platsetter.

If I were on a desert island and unable to get a new platesetter, I would bake it at 400 for 12hrs.  That would probably take care of any outgassing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    I tried it on my broken plate setter.  I didn't notice any odors or taste issues, but it only last about 3 low and slow cooks.  I ended up going with the Ceramic Grill Store spider and stone and 1/2 stone.  I liked the platesetter better, but the spider has been fine.

Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • I would not want any JB Weld in my egg. Having said that, to paraphrase O.J., if I did do it, I would run 2 very small angle irons perpendicular to the break to beef it up, otherwise it probably would not hold for long.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Buy the Woo and a pizza stone.  Best of both worlds.  Gives you raised direct and with the stone an indirect means of eggin.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have no concerns about JB Weld off gassing but once I tried it to mend a broken leg on my p/s. The joint failed the second time I used it! Thankfully I didn't have a Dutch oven full of chili or such on it as that would have made for a royal mess! Don't trust it is my advice!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jclayto
    Jclayto Posts: 27
    edited August 2017
    Changing gears for a quick second - Woo + 15" stone, does that provide about the same coverage over the fire as the platesetter? Do you also put the 16" drip pan on the stone to increase coverage? I've been wanting a good pizza stone anyway, so this may be able to pull double duty as pizza stone for hot cooks  and heat deflector for slow cooks. 

My only small fear with the Woo is thanksgiving turkey. Last year the bird was pretty close to the top of the dome with my grate on the platesetter. I worry if I might have trouble if I give up a few inches by only being able to cook at felt line.  But, that is once a year and I guess I could buy a smaller bird :)

Found a platesetter for $58 at my local hardware store/bge dealer. Thats a little less than I thought it would cost me. Haven't purchased, now thinking about Woo.