Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough Bread

Options
I have been baking bread on the egg for years (also in the oven) and I love it. I have been feeding a sourdough starter for about 17 days and tried it this weekend. This is the first time I haven't used commercial yeast. 

As expected for my first attempt, it feels very dense. I got a decent oven spring, but not enough. I think it was my starter not being mature enough. We will see how it looks once I cut into it later. 

Does anyone have a recipe that they like to use? More details the better. Thanks!

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've been baking sourdough breads for years and have had great results.  Most of them have been baked in our regular oven but I have done a few on my Big Green Egg.

The sourdough starter that I am currently having good results with is from http://www.sourdo.com/ and is their "original San Francisco sourdough starter".  They have lots of hints and tips on their website.

I keep mine in the refrigerator and feed it once/week or so.  When I am going to make bread, I take some of it and put it into a fresh container and feed it for about 4 days until it seems to be growing well and then make the bread.

I just had great success with this recipe from King Arthur:

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2012/06/14/classic-sourdough-bread-time-steps-in-for-added-yeast/

One possible reason for it being dense is that it was over worked.  I try to handle sourdough breads as little as possible.  I did knead this recipe for 10-15 minutes, but then let it rise for about 4 hours (The original "sponge" was made the day before and was in the refrigerator overnight) before forming into loaves and then let it rise a few more hours.

I've never had to feed a starter for more than 7 days before it was vigorous.

Keep experimenting.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks @Shiff. You could very well be right on overworking. I used a mixer to knead vs by hand. The dough seemed very strong after the fermentation rise. 
  • EggDan
    Options
    The flavor is definitely there! Just a little dense and a little doughy. Definitely will experiment. 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @EggDan The sourdough looks great! What's your favourite non-sourdough recipe?

ive never made bread and am lazy when it comes to kneading but the pizza dough I make in my food processor is great so I'd like to try making bread dough in that. 
  • Shiff
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @EggDan The sourdough looks great! What's your favourite non-sourdough recipe?

ive never made bread and am lazy when it comes to kneading but the pizza dough I make in my food processor is great so I'd like to try making bread dough in that. 
    I've made numerous variations of the NY Times No-Knead recipe - both sourdough and non-sourdough.  Very easy and it comes out great in the oven or on the egg.  You can cook it in a dutch oven or other covered roasting pans.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • EggDan
    Options
    @Shiff is this the recipe that you have used? 

http://www.sourdo.com/recipes/no-knead-sourdough/

I am trying to think through the comment warning against using a banneton basket due to the hydration level. Did you use one?

Thanks!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had a few years when the only bread in my home was baked in my oven. I made a batch of Ciabatta in the Egg a couple years ago - big holes using vigorous wild and store bought yeasts.

Sourdough requires patience and yours looks fantastic, the size of those holes is a testament to the wild yeast and how "alive" those tiny little bugs are.

Even dense bread is good bread if you bake it yourself. I use "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" by Paul Reinhart for almost all my bread recipes - I highly recommend it. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Shiff
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @EggDan said:
    @Shiff is this the recipe that you have used? 

http://www.sourdo.com/recipes/no-knead-sourdough/

I am trying to think through the comment warning against using a banneton basket due to the hydration level. Did you use one?

Thanks!
    I actually started with this one:
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
    but have made many modifications over the years - it isn't a sourdough recipe but I used less flour and a sourdough starter instead of yeast.  It may take a few tries to have it come out the way you want.

The one you mentioned from sourdo.com will probably work fine. I use their sourdough starter and have had great results with many recipes of theirs and other websites (like King Arthur Flour).

I don't use a basket. I usually let it rise in a stainless steel bowl covered with plastic wrap. Sometimes I use a linen lined bowl but I haven't really seen any difference.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA