Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steak Fajitas - Quick & Delicious midweek cook

A few week's ago I posted a thread asking about good things to buy at Aldis, and commented that I liked their skirt steak which sells at a pretty good price.   I don't usually buy skirt because my food stores and Costco seem to only have flank.  This was $20 for just under 3lbs. of skirt (~$10 per package).

Fajitas turned out great!  I didn't shop for traditional fixin's, this was one of those "what can we make out of what we have" meals.  I like those kind of meals.  Low effort!  :)

I'm not sure how much you usually trim skirt, but here's my trim pile.  I know the fat "melts" when you cook it, but the back side had some pretty thick layers of fat on there that I didn't think would dissolve in a cook that wasn't going to last more than 10 minutes.  So I trimmed...

I mixed up some olive oil, juice of one lime, soy sauce and lots of fresh crushed garlic.  Rubbed that on the skirt, then hit is with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and some dizzy dust.  Didn't marinate for longer than an hour before it was hitting the coals -

Cooked 4 minutes a side...  with some slack while I checked temp and took pictures, it was probably on the grill for 10 minutes total.  Grill was around 400 dome temp.

Plated the meat, covered with foil, and warmed some tortillas.
If you're not warming the tortillas before service, you're not livin'!    Makes such a difference...
One flip, just until they start to puff.  Put them in a bowl covered with a cloth napkin.

Finished tortillas.  Called the family to dinner.  And sliced the skirt!  Came out perfect.  Very tender.
I mean... it's skirt, there was the occasional tough bite, but man this was good.   I'll get this again for sure.  Aldis skirt is in the rotation!

Hope you enjoyed it.  It's a quick simple mid week cook.  Having people over? add in some chicken breast, shrimp skewers and you're living large!  :)

This next photo has nothing to do with BGE, but you folks appreciate the outside.  So while I'm swamping your cell phones, here's a picture of me fishing on the river last night with my dog.  Good times.  Didn't even catch anything.  Still great.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments