Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price for used mini max

i found a used mini max with platesetter for $375 is this a good deal? Thanks in advance for all the input
BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 

Comments

• I think the common theme around here is to try to get a used Egg for at least 50% off MSRP, due to the warranty being non-transferrable.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgable than me will chime in soon, but hope this helps.  
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    thanks jones2289. One other thing I have an xl now and want something small for camping and weeknight cooks for me and the wife. For those of you that have a mm is it worth it and do you like them?
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Zeiger88 said:
    thanks jones2289. One other thing I have an xl now and want something small for camping and weeknight cooks for me and the wife. For those of you that have a mm is it worth it and do you like them?
    Yes and yes. For two people it's perfect. We have a LBGE and MM, almost all cooks are on the MM. This may help you:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193443/benefits-of-having-more-than-one-egg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• My Minimax is great for small cooks, love it. I wouldn't take it camping though. I'd recommend an Akorn jr, or a Weber jumbo joe. Lugging a big heavy egg (Minimax is not light) around to a camp site and risking it during transport hardly seems worth it.

Call up a dealer and get replacement cost quotes on a firering and firebox so you know what your expected repair costs will be. I'm sure the price will go up from when you need them down the road so it may be worth buying them at their lowest cost now with the used egg. Every egg I've ever had eventually develops cracks in these two parts. I've still bought used eggs, just know your costs ahead of time. 
  • Zeiger88
    Thanks for your input 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I just bought an Akorn Jr. for $74 - no, it's not an Egg, it's a cheap knock off, but if you're looking for something to take on vacation, or tailgating, or burning off one or two burgers quickly.... why pay hundreds for that?
    Walmart increased the price to $91, but still.....

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DieselkW said:
    I just bought an Akorn Jr. for $74 - no, it's not an Egg, it's a cheap knock off, but if you're looking for something to take on vacation, or tailgating, or burning off one or two burgers quickly.... why pay hundreds for that?
    Walmart increased the price to $91, but still.....
    Its lighter, and a little bigger!

• Zeiger88
    Very nice well I ended up getting the mm I got it for $300 though that was a good deal. But thanks for all the input. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    have MM and Mini. I would use the Mini for camping.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zeiger88
    I got the mini max and built a little table for it it looks cool having 2 eggs side by side. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you have a dog, don't let him near that top heavy table/mmx. Don't ask how I know. It's why I now have an Akorn Jr. (Love it, btw). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zeiger88
    lol I get it thanks for the heads up
  • Cool quick table. Nice work. Enjoy that new mm. 
  • Zeiger88
    Thanks I will