Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Casters for table

Options
I'm in the process of building a table for my large egg and I am looking for casters.  I'll be using 4x4's for the legs and I am having a hard time finding casters with a plate that will fit.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Harbor Freight 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    My table has 4x4's for legs as well. I bought the wheels at Lowe's, but that was many years ago. I have 5 inch wheels, I would recommend not going any smaller than that. Even very small rocks will lock up a wheel.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Tractor Supply 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No better source for "every caster made" than  Castercity.com

Now before you go there or Harbor Freight or Lowes or such it will pay you to anwser a few simple questions.
    What will the ultimate weight of your table plus egg be?
    What is the surface you be rolling your table on? Wood, concrete, brick, pavers, rock, dirt? 
    Where are you located as far as UVL, salt conditions such as sea shore, temperature swings etc?
    Will you actually be moving it all that much, or just want to be able to now and then?

You can go cheap and have failures sooner than you want or you can go overboard and never need such heavy duty casters.

One last alternative - go like I did and with an axle and wheels on one end instead of casters and straight legs on the other end - so it can be moved like a cart.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have looked on Caster City's website and cannot find one that will fit a 4x4.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    mummer43 said:
    ? - what type of caster are you wanting? The most common style have a "post" that you drill a hole for to insert running vertically. OTOH some have two stamped steel plates separated with ball bearings and one plate is screwed to the 4x4 wooden leg.

Want to give us some more particulars what these "legs" are going to look like? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    mummer43 said:
    Amazon has a gazillion casters. Just a quick look shows these have plates that are 3.5" in the long dimension.

Four by's are nominally 3.5" square tho some may vary from that a bit.

https://smile.amazon.com/Heavy-Swivel-Caster-Wheels-Degree/dp/B01IGQ1M38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502154556&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=plate+caster&psc=1
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    mummer43 said:
    ? - what type of caster are you wanting? The most common style have a "post" that you drill a hole for to insert running vertically. OTOH some have two stamped steel plates separated with ball bearings and one plate is screwed to the 4x4 wooden leg.

He said 4x4 legs.  So I would think the dimensions are 3.5" x 3.5". 
    Options
    RRP said:
    mummer43 said:

Well aware of the true dimensions , but since he said he was having a problem finding any I thought maybe giving him a general idea might help soothe his apparent frustration. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    mummer43 said:

Well aware of the true dimensions , but since he said he was having a problem finding any I thought maybe giving him a general idea might help soothe his apparent frustration. 
    The problem with a 4x4 leg is:  Most larger casters are of the plate mount variety and have a metal base that is 5"x4" (or somewhere around that for 4-5" casters).  Stem casters are harder to find and, because all casters are offset, they really need a metal "hole" to insert into because just drilling a hole in a softwood generally is a bad idea with that amount of weight. 

My solution is to drill new holes in the plate and cut it to fit the contour of the leg.  I have done this a dozen times.  Or, just drill the holes and let the plate stick out.  No harm in that.
    Options
    Pre-drill the appropriately sized holes and using 4" lag screws would be fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Options
    RRP said:
    mummer43 said:

Correct. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Caster City has several options with a smaller mounting plate of  2 3/8" x 3 5/8".  Wheel sizes of 3, 4 or 5".  You should be able to find something suitable.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options
    +3 for Caster City.  Call them and speak to a sales rep, they are very helpful.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Mcmaster-Carr will have specs for the certain type of casters you need. Real informative site and real easy to navigate and choose options for technical info. But shop around for prices..they are pricey

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I tried to go smaller with clear rubber wheels from either HF or Lowe's. They looked great and would move over the rock patio OK, but not grear. Well, the weight (which they were rated for) plus the Texas heat made them soft and the rubber folded. Bought some new bigger and better ones but haven't put them on yet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    There are some casters that are foam filled so they don't go flat like the air filled ones.
  • mgmcclain
    Options
    I just got the below off amazon (great price as well) for my table 62x34 table for an XL BGE. That are working great so far!

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Caster-Wheel-Inches-Set/dp/B071LMDBTR/ref=pd_ybh_a_80?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M2V4GT6F7W6G8GHHN3J5

Memphis, TN: XL BGE, Custom 62"x34" Cedar Table, Weber Kettle 22" that no longer sees action.