Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wire brushes - When will people stop using them

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    These work well and actually last a long time. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    What is that ? Pumice?
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    etherdome said:
    What is that ? Pumice?
    Yes, or something similar. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Pumice type cleaners are great (especially on griddles) but you really need to give a grate or griddle a good wipe down afterwards.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The grid gripper is the best cleaner imo. 
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    These work well and actually last a long time. 

I use these then wipe the grill down or a wooden paddle. Don't trust wire anymore after seeing what can happen.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great ideas to cleaning the grill, thanks everyone for the suggestions.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options

grill gripper is ok for scraping crusty stuff.

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    I use Scotch Brite Grill pads.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I think to answer the original question, people will stop using them when they stop selling them and their old ones wear out. 
    The "wearing out' part is a big part of the problem.  At least in this study, every bristle ingestion injury was from a brush that was more than 2 years old.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/sesc/tas/2016/00000082/00000005/art00015

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I scrape off the big stuff with my ash tool. 

Little Rock, AR

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use and like the Billy Bar:  http://www.billybar.com/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I use and like the Billy Bar:  http://www.billybar.com/
    You use this on a mini egg? If I had to use this on my XL, I might get around to grilling.... tomorrow!   ;)
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have a large BGE.  It only takes a few minutes to clean the grill when it is hot.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Y'all all need a Labrador 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Just bought 4 of these. 2 for the SILs and 2 for me. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I used to use foil.  Now I use my Smokeware ash tool when simple heat needs an assist.  I don't sweat it much.

Phoenix 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    blasting said:

I used to use foil.  Now I use my Smokeware ash tool when simple heat needs an assist.  I don't sweat it much.

Yep, got one and use it for the MMX grates. Won't work on my high-que luxury stainless cooking grid for the large. The notch is too small. =)=).
    Soak that one in lye for about a day. That stuff will eat any protein. :) 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Just bought 4 of these. 2 for the SILs and 2 for me. 
    I just ordered one as well.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @GrillSgt @dstearn that's the brush I've used for years (probably on my 6th one by now.  It does wear down as you use it, so flip it and use both sides.  I've never SEEN it lose bristles, but I assume it does and try to use it with that in mind.  I never just brush and then load up the grill.  Most of the time I will brush before I put the grate in.  For times when the grate is already in the egg and hot, I make sure I move it, shake it, smack it hard with the ash tool or something and give it a good look after I brush it.  I also only brush the grate if there's something nasty looking there, so that's maybe 20% of the time (or nearly 100% of the time following a fish cook).
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ah, that is different with the coils.  I had not seen those, it does look just like a grill brush I've used for years.  Looks like a good idea, helpful to hear back how it holds up.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    It will definitely get a workout from me. Yes it looks like the brush I have been using for years.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JFC, folks.  We get eating wires can kill you.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't use wire brushes to clean your grill.  It means you need to make sure you clean up any wire left over.  I've research long and hard and you can brush off any visible and invisible wire remnants using a variety of methods, like brushing the grate with a non-wire brush (chip brush). 

Knowing about the risk is good.  You can deal with it safely from there.
    Options
    Well, really, the government should just outlaw wire brushes.  It would be easier.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    JFC, folks.  We get eating wires can kill you.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't use wire brushes to clean your grill.  It means you need to make sure you clean up any wire left over.  I've research long and hard and you can brush off any visible and invisible wire remnants using a variety of methods, like brushing the grate with a non-wire brush (chip brush). 

I don't disagree at all, that's where I have been for years since we first heard about the issue. But lately I've been asking myself why take a chance. Especially my SILs and their funky ass grills. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GrillSgt said:

I don't disagree at all, that's where I have been for years since we first heard about the issue. But lately I've been asking myself why take a chance. Especially my SILs and their funky ass grills. 
    I think that's prudent.  Even if it's just a mitigation of anxiety.

Like I said, I did have a wire flip out of the grill in to the griddle, and it ended up in food.  That would never happen if I didn't use a wire brush.
    Options
    Thanks for posting.

I didn't know this was an issue.  I've been using wire brushes for decades without a problem - but it looks like time to rethink.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Legume said:
    Well, really, the government should just outlaw wire brushes.  It would be easier.
    They'd prefer to tax the crap out of them. 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    Legume said:
    They'd prefer to tax the crap out of them. 
    In the current lawsuit atmosphere we live in, I'm surprised somebody hasn't sued one of the wire brush companies. Spill a cup of hot coffee.... I'm just sayin'.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas