Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some firsts, and enjoying pgprescott's recipe for onions

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum

Tonight was the first cook with the replaced fire ring and firebox.  I also put on a new handle, because I had failed to maintain the first one.  It's also the first bag of Rockwood I've ever used.  Here's what I found in the first pour, which lit pretty easily.  I ran without any chunks or chips to see what the Rockwood was like on its own, and I was glad to discover it was fairly neutral.

I ran at about 390 indirect, for some diced red potatoes and pgprescott's French onion soup onion recipe (cored onions filled with butter and beef bouillon ).  I should have given the potatoes a ten minute head start.  It was about fifty minutes overall.  Partway through, I added the pork chops with Kick'n Chicken (as requested).  And, I felt I had to add another pat of butter to each onion since the levels had dropped a bit.

Somehow, we were out of Swiss cheese, but did have some mozzarella.  I'll be sure to check for cheese next time, since I'd say the sliced Swiss would have been better.  Cheddar and some green onions and bacon finished the potatoes.  I also think I'll grab fingerling potatoes for next time.  They seem to come out better than these cubed reds did.  Those onions were good.  I recommend having crusty bread on hand for dipping.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I will reserve judgment with regard to @pgprescott but if that's his onion result then it's a home-run.  Great result right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That all looks fantastic!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Not bad at all. Bravo!

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks wonderful! Nice meal!
    I usually wrap them in foil to help steam them, then carefully remove them and add the cheese. The cast iron dish method looks pretty darn nice though. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Those look ferociously good. However it should be a capital offense to post something this good looking without a link to the recipe. I have two gorgeous marinated tri tips going on the Egg in an hour and I want to add these. Now I now I have  to do a search!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

Heh - here's a link to the discussion where I saw the onions
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2186614#Comment_2186614

I used onions a little over three inches in diameter, cored with a paring knife, and then hollowed them out a bit more with a spoon.  I filled the opening with butter and most of a Knorr's beef bouillon cube (they are large).  That original post says to wrap the onion with foil.  My outermost onion layer toughened up a bit, and that foil might have prevented it.

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Thank you kindly!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.