Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket too big

Options
Just received a 20 # Wagyu beef brisket for my tenure party on Saturday.  It is too big to fit on my large BGE.  I'm planning to cut off the narrowest part of the flat and was thinking of either: 1) setting it up on top of the remaining flat and point; or 2) propping it up on its newly cut end, leaning on the remaining flat and point.  Or is there a better way?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've draped them over a rib rack before. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    separate the deckle from the flat...thew deckle needs to go a bit longer anyways for the burnt ends  ;)
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Brick it.  Depending on the overall length, you can lay it over a foiled brick Or inverted rib rack) to fit until shrinkage takes over.  If you go that route just be alerted that it will cook faster due to being more elevated into the dome.  Also make sure you foil protect any part that may be outside your heat deflector.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  Remember the friggin cow drives the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Brick it.  Depending on the overall length, you can lay it over a foiled brick Or inverted rib rack) to fit until shrinkage takes over.  If you go that route just be alerted that it will cook faster due to being more elevated into the dome.  Also make sure you foil protect any part that may be outside your heat deflector.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.  Remember the friggin cow drives the cook.  FWIW-

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Draping it over something works well, but I recommend that you still do a trial fit before lighting the egg. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • LeggoMyEgg0
    Options
    That's a mighty nice setup you have there SeaSki!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    there is no reason to be elaborate, foil the front and back, aim the point towards the back and scrunch it in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Draping it over something works well, but I recommend that you still do a trial fit before lighting the egg. 

Glad I am not the only one who does dry fits with the protein still in the package
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    That's what she said.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    This falls into a years long conversation we have in our house::

THINGS YOU'LL NEVER HEAR A MAN SAY

"That TV will never fit in our living room!"

Large BGE and Medium BGE