Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Chicken Cook in Pouring Rain

Options
bjeans
bjeans Posts: 191
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Chicken thighs with three Dizzy Pig rubs, raised direct about 375+. It stopped raining, then sprinkled, then poured during the cook. Got soaked, and when my husband came home, he spelled me toward the end. (The Smokeware Cap is still in the box.) I held aluminum foil over the daisy wheel, then nothing, then during the deluge, an umbrella. Despite all that, and forgetting which thighs had which Dizzy Pig rub, I was shocked that they were delicious. Trial by rain.

Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    That looks wonderful! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Improvise, adapt, overcome.....

Way to hang in there on a trying cook @bjeans:)

The thighs look great. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They look delicious. Nice job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bjeans
    Options
    Thanks guys - love this egg! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @bjeans - You have got the skills and passion for bringing it home.  No doubt about the result.  Great outcome right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Nice!!!!
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It took me a while to figure out that it was stupid to egg in the rain. But I did. =) When I first got an egg, the weather didn't matter; heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, whatever. I will still egg in any of those conditions... except rain! The only way I'll do rain is if I wasn't expecting it and had started a cook anyway. 

The egg doesn't care. This is one of @Spring Chicken's cooks from long ago. No foil, no umbrella and long before there was a smokeware cap. You can see smoke rising up through the daisy...

The egg might not care... but the COOK does. This one anyway. =)

All that said... GREAT looking chicken!! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It took me a while to figure out that it was stupid to egg in the rain. But I did. =) When I first got an egg, the weather didn't matter; heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, whatever. I will still egg in any of those conditions... except rain! The only way I'll do rain is if I wasn't expecting it and had started a cook anyway. 

The egg doesn't care. This is one of @Spring Chicken's cooks from long ago. No foil, no umbrella and long before there was a smokeware cap. You can see smoke rising up through the daisy...

The egg might not care... but the COOK does. This one anyway. =)

All that said... GREAT looking chicken!! :rofl:

This cook was a disaster that a Smokeware cap could've saved ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bjeans
    Options
    Ha! Holy cow. Does that really not affect a cook? What about damp, cold air entering the vent? After being stable a long time, when I wasn't covering the daisy wheel and the rain picked up, the temp suddenly dropped 25 degrees and the smoke got weird. I opened the vent a little and umbrella-ed the egg.

BTW, @Carolina Q it wasn't supposed to storm and had stopped when I started the cook. I'm kind of glad it happened but will not seek it out. 
  • bjeans
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bjeans - You have got the skills and passion for bringing it home.  No doubt about the result.  Great outcome right there.  Congrats.  
    You're really kind. Yes, enthusiasm - who knew it could be so much more fun than kitchen cooking (which I avoid as much as possible)? As for skills, I'm in egg kindergarten, but read and copy posts like a maniac (maniegg?). Dozens read and maybe six copied that were simple, similar thigh cooks. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Nice cook, I really like chicken thighs cooked in the Egg! Here in the UK we have a lot of rain, so precautionary measures are in place, ranging from this:

to this:

and the latter came into play when cooking chicken thighs (rubbed with three different DP rubs) and sausages on Wednesday afternoon, as it was tipping it down old testament style:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• bjeans
    Options
    @Stormbringer, handy set-ups. I like the fence flowerpots. : ) Three DP rubs for you, too? Which ones? And you don't have the aluminum foil resting on the chicken, do you - is that three levels? 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    bjeans said:
    @Stormbringer, handy set-ups. I like the fence flowerpots. : ) Three DP rubs for you, too? Which ones? And you don't have the aluminum foil resting on the chicken, do you - is that three levels? 
    I used Game On, Tsunami Spin and Ragin' River, the latter being the winner.

You're correct, that is three levels, I made a custom rig with some nuts, bolts and washers. The middle level is a 13 inch pizza pan with kitchen foil on it suspended on some washers. The sausage fat dripped onto it and didn't touch the chicken.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• bjeans
    Options
    Very cool - and advanced (!) - set up. I used Raging River, Pineapple Head and Shakin' the Tree. In the downpour, I forgot to plate them to know which was which. I don't think I ate Shakin' the Tree but the other two were super. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Very cool - and advanced (!) - set up. I used Raging River, Pineapple Head and Shakin' the Tree. In the downpour, I forgot to plate them to know which was which. I don't think I ate Shakin' the Tree but the other two were super. 
    Thanks. I'm a nuts-y bolts-y cook. If you have a Minimax this setup is ace:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/06/30/maxing-out-a-minimax-big-green-egg/

• bjeans
    Options
    No Minimax (yet?) but love the set-up. You could/should sell them. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've hardly ever Egged in the rain, just too unpleasant for me, regardless of the food.  I'm impressed by your dedication, and that chicken looks AMAZING!!!

Great job!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look fantastic.  Thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bjeans
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I've hardly ever Egged in the rain, just too unpleasant for me, regardless of the food.  I'm impressed by your dedication, and that chicken looks AMAZING!!!

Great job!
    Thanks! But don't give me too much credit - I thought the rain had passed. Choices: scrap it; transfer to oven while they're getting rained on (umbrella holder wasn't home from work yet); or carry on. Meanwhile, the SmokeWare cap was in the kitchen laughing.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Wish my wife would try to cook on the egg.  She loves the food but says that is my job.    Your food looks great and hubby is lucky.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • bjeans
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @GoldenQ wow, that's so nice of you - I've surprised myself, actually - did not expect it. 

But you have to look at the complete picture. Before the egg I didn't often cook dinner - too easy to get good carry-out. The dust bunnies are hopping since I've buried my head in the forum for an eggucation. Plus I'm semi-retired, so have time. If your wife cooks, cleans, shops? She's a gem. (My husband does most shopping.)

But it is a nice obsess... um, hobby to share. I'm guessing my husband will jump in and do steaks. And now that I've confessed my laziness, time to vacuum a bit. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Way to pull through like a trooper. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Very nice job with the cook - chicken looks great!  Since I'm a fellow "rain chef", I just ordered a Smokeware Cap!  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bjeans
    Options
    Thank you. I'm just getting comfortable with the daisy wheel and switching to the Smokeware Cap could throw me... who am I kidding. I'm new and winging it so switching shouldn't matter. 

I'm nervous about removing the current gasket - don't want to end up without an airtight fit and then have to wait for a thicker gasket. Matthew at Smokeware said to first check if the OEM gasket would work - that it depends on if it's too high or lower down.

I hope you post about your switching to SW.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Those look incredible! :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    bjeans said:
    Thank you. I'm just getting comfortable with the daisy wheel and switching to the Smokeware Cap could throw me... who am I kidding. I'm new and winging it so switching shouldn't matter. 

I'm nervous about removing the current gasket - don't want to end up without an airtight fit and then have to wait for a thicker gasket. Matthew at Smokeware said to first check if the OEM gasket would work - that it depends on if it's too high or lower down.

Used my Smokeware cap yesterday for the first time - it worked just fine.  I did not change the gasket as it seemed snug enough.  Easy to modulate air flow and seemed to hold temperature steadier than daisy wheel.  I know some folks report no issues with rain using the DW, but really, if there is an opening toward the sky how can rain not be getting in?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    Fantastic looking chicken.  Nice even and overall crispness without burning.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Great looking chicken... when you put your smokeware cap on it will take a lot of your rain issues out of play..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bjeans
    edited August 2017
    Options
    bjeans said:

Used my Smokeware cap yesterday for the first time - it worked just fine.  I did not change the gasket as it seemed snug enough.  Easy to modulate air flow and seemed to hold temperature steadier than daisy wheel.  I know some folks report no issues with rain using the DW, but really, if there is an opening toward the sky how can rain not be getting in?
    I was at DizzyPig today for a poultry class, and it was suggested to use the gasket on the egg like you did. Glad to know the learning curve isn't steep. And rain was getting in the egg when it was pouring - not that much but enough to drop the temp a little and smell odd for a bit. 

And thanks for the kind words, @JohnnyTarheel and @LesMo