Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gallette with heirloom tomatoes

Options
I went to the farmer's market Saturday and found some really nice heirloom tomatoes that I just couldn't pass up. 

The plan was to make a gallette Saturday but my wife and I ended up working late on the outdoor kitchen. The gallette happened today. Start with basic pie crust. 

Next I added blue, feta, and colby cheese. Then a thin layer of caramelized onions and fresh basil. 

Then a layer of golden squash. 

On top of the squash goes all the heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. 

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    This looks like a win to me. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Wow that looks good
    Large

Houston,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Fine eating. I hope that I remember this next tomato season
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I was hungry before I saw this post, now I am starving. I would make a fool of myself if that was on my table.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    Holy Cow.  That looks totally amazing. Our tomato plants are full of fruit and starting to ripen.  I know what I'm going to do with a few of them fellas! Thanks for posting.
    Southwestern CT
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    DaYum that looks great....Bookmarked
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Home run once again. That looks delicious.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Oh my.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That looks absolutely WONDERFUL!  I've never tried to make pie dough.  I need to give it a shot one of these days.  That looks just spectacular!
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    wow. Great presentation.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks excellent. Do my eyes deceive me or did you cheat on your WFO and use that green thing to cook it?? :smiley:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Man that looks excellent. Do my eyes deceive me or did you cheat on your WFO and use that green thing to cook it?? :smiley:
    Lol, yes I cheated on the woodoven. I still love my egg. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Loves me some 'mater pie!!!  Great cook!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SciAggie
    Options
    Theophan said:
    That looks absolutely WONDERFUL!  I've never tried to make pie dough.  I need to give it a shot one of these days.  That looks just spectacular!
    Pie dough isn't difficult. It is easier if you mix the dough then let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so before you roll it out. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice!  That looks great.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    that looks really good, some version of this comes this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I've been looking to add some vegetarian recipes into the rotation.  Think I just found one.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Theophan said:
    @Theophan, here is a wonderful recipe for basic pie dough. Nice and flaky. Just keep it cold and don't add too much water. I found it in a W-S Pie and Tart cookbook I bought years ago, but it's also online. I just checked and this is word for word so I know it works...

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/basic-pie-dough.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

And yes, this galette does look delicious! Now you guys have me in the mood - I haven't baked a pie in ages. In fact, I don't think I've done one since well before I bought my egg in 2009! I could be rusty. :)

Pretty sure I've never had a tomato pie.  I'm thinking cherry. Not sure I have the nerve to try it in the egg though.  =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    This looks absolutely fantastic. Really great. I will definitely make this in the coming month. Thanks so much. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Carolina Q Here is the recipe: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/heirloom-tomato-zucchini-galette-honey-thyme/
    We liked the blue cheese - but if your cheese is pretty punchy you might back off and add more feta or some other milder cheese. The caramelized onion is great in this pie; cook plenty. 
    I cooked this on a raised stone like I do pizzas. The parchment paper helps if there are any runs from the pie. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks for the link. This really does look delicious. Need to find decent tomatoes though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @Theophan, here is a wonderful recipe for basic pie dough. Nice and flaky. Just keep it cold and don't add too much water. I found it in a W-S Pie and Tart cookbook I bought years ago, but it's also online. I just checked and this is word for word so I know it works...

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/basic-pie-dough.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH
    Thanks!  It's nice to have a recipe someone actually has used and found good.

The "just... don't add too much water" is part of the problem, though.  My first wife was a great pie maker, but watching her seemed to make very clear that VERY subtle variations in exactly how much you cut the fat into the flour, and especially how much water you added (which can vary depending on the humidity, the water content of the flour, etc.) can make a HUGE difference in whether the crust is delicate and flaky or like cardboard.  And you just had to know what it looks like when it's "right."  It's left me with the impression that making good pie dough is pretty easy, really, but it takes making a bunch of pie doughs and screwing some of them up before you really get the feel for how to tell when "it's right."

I gotta give it a try, one of these days.  Thanks again!
  • Carolina Q
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Alton Brown has a good eats pie dough video where he uses a spray bottle to add the water. I'll see if I can find it.

Well, I thought he did, but I'm having no luck. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    This looks delicious. Might be a little advanced for my skill set, but you make it look easy. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This looks delicious. Might be a little advanced for my skill set, but you make it look easy. 
    I'm being serious, if you can make pie dough and cut stuff up you can make this. If you can't make pie dough (or don't want to) buy frozen dough at the store. This was worth making. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I have no idea what gallette is, but that looks simply wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    It's a company that makes razors.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• SciAggie
    Options
    It's a company that makes razors.
    If you want to google it - spell it right (not what I did). Galette. Don't you hate those words you can't remember how to spell but are too lazy to look them up?
    It's a fancy french name for a free form pie. Make dough and put goodness inside + Bake = galette.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon