Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco got me!

Options
Costco here in Knoxville only carried brisket flats until about 3 months ago and then whole, prime packers at $2.99/lb.  For the past several weeks only flats were in the case.  Yesterday, I found a full case of whole packers at $2.79/lb. and picked up 2.  When I got home and was putting them in the freezer I noticed they weren't prime but choice.  It was right there for me to see but assuming they were prime as before, I just missed it.  Oh well..... 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Is it primarily the marbling that is different between the 2 grades?  I'm moving closer and closer to getting a Costco membership just to buy brisket since I can't find whole packers anywhere locally.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Haven't seen choice packers yet, but the price of prime has definitely gone up to 3.99/lbs at my local costco from 2.99 when they first started carrying them a few months ago.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @Hibby said:
    Is it primarily the marbling that is different between the 2 grades?  I'm moving closer and closer to getting a Costco membership just to buy brisket since I can't find whole packers anywhere locally.
    Not all Costco's carry packer briskets (choice or prime) so make sure the one you are considering carries them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    Hibby said:
    It is beyond insane to pay a minimum of $60 just to have access to briskets at $2.99/lb. 

How much brisket do you have to buy before you break even on the lower level membership of $60? If you save 10%, you have to buy $600 worth of brisket to break even. Bon appetît, you're looking at 200 lbs of brisket per year just to break even. 

I sell memberships at Costco. Do Not Bother if all you're doing is trying get access to one item. You have to shop at Costco INSTEAD of what you're doing now to make it worthwhile. 

And if you're going to do that anyway, don't be penny wise and pound foolish and buy just the Gold Star membership. Go whole hog (pun intended) and get the Executive plus the Visa card, and save 4% on every Costco purchase.

Right now there's a Groupon that gives you $60 back + hundreds in product and travel coupons if you get an Executive + Visa card. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Hibby said:
    It is beyond insane to pay a minimum of $60 just to have access to briskets at $2.99/lb. 

How much brisket do you have to buy before you break even on the lower level membership of $60? If you save 10%, you have to buy $600 worth of brisket to break even. Bon appetît, you're looking at 200 lbs of brisket per year just to break even. 

I sell memberships at Costco. Do Not Bother if all you're doing is trying get access to one item. You have to shop at Costco INSTEAD of what you're doing now to make it worthwhile. 

And if you're going to do that anyway, don't be penny wise and pound foolish and buy just the Gold Star membership. Go whole hog (pun intended) and get the Executive plus the Visa card, and save 4% on every Costco purchase.

Right now there's a Groupon that gives you $60 back + hundreds in product and travel coupons if you get an Executive + Visa card. 
    i seen choice brisket at 10.99 a pound earlier this year at the local market
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    Options
    What are the chances that @Hibby has only two choices for whole brisket, Costco and your local in Maine that sells it for 300% more than Costco?

Costco has better prices compared to most alternatives, but the difference between $3 a lb. and $11 a lb. means someone is a tad bit over market value, or in a summer vacation town ripping off the tourists.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    What are the chances that @Hibby has only two choices for whole brisket, Costco and your local in Maine that sells it for 300% more than Costco?

Costco has better prices compared to most alternatives, but the difference between $3 a lb. and $11 a lb. means someone is a tad bit over market value, or in a summer vacation town ripping off the tourists.
    briskets are way over priced in new england, its a reason you wont see many cooked up here unless its a flat and youre still looking at prices almost 300 percent too high.  last packer i cooked was maybe 15 years back and it was over 7 bucks a pound.  ground hamburger is more money than a costco packer ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Well, what he said was, "I can't find whole packers anywhere locally."

Surely he'll find something else to save a buck on so he won't be throwing 
    all that cash away.

Or, @Hibby, Columbus also has a Restaurant Depot which should have packers (and tons of other stuff). Free to join if you are a business owner (or know someone who is). Or, you could join KCBS for $35 and get access that way.Image result for restaurant depot brisket

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DieselkW
    Options
    I don't want an argument, sorry if I responded harshly. 

I talk to people every day that tell me they want a membership so they can buy our "X" item, or "no I won't spend enough to make the Executive worthwhile"

I always ask, "How much do you have to spend to make $60 worthwhile?" I'm trying to help them... don't buy a $60 membership to save 10% of one penny less than $600, right?

Blank stares are the usual response. I'm amazed at how many people are willing to buy a membership and don't intend to benefit from it. They just want to be "in".  OK, put your credit card right in there....  

Indianapolis, IN

• fishlessman
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    I don't want an argument, sorry if I responded harshly. 

I talk to people every day that tell me they want a membership so they can buy our "X" item, or "no I won't spend enough to make the Executive worthwhile"

I always ask, "How much do you have to spend to make $60 worthwhile?" I'm trying to help them... don't buy a $60 membership to save 10% of one penny less than $600, right?

Blank stares are the usual response. I'm amazed at how many people are willing to buy a membership and don't intend to benefit from it. They just want to be "in".  OK, put your credit card right in there....  
    sometimes location makes the difference, for instance, live maine lobster is 4.99 a pound, in another week or so im hoping it hits 3.99. thats over 20 one and a half pounders compared to a non costco brisket if you can even find one.  a few weeks ago i paid about 40 bucks for a pork butt because they did not have one at the local grocery store. 3.99 a pound for a run of the mill butt =) by the way, my house is in mass, camps in maine, i shop in tax free nh ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have an Executive Membership with the Costco Visa card. I get a lot more in the Visa rebate than the membership costs. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Agreed, entry fee to purchase just one item is not wise. I know of nobody that does that.
    However, access to everything else sold by Costco, is very much worth it.
    The liberal return policy on all goods sold is worth the price to get in by itself.
    If you travel as much as My Beautiful Wife and I do, you would appreciate the cost of membership even more.
    Heck, just the savings on cooking items, such as cedar planks, aluminum pans, aluminum foil, etc., for a Big Green Egger, is worth the paying of an annual membership.
    Costco will not be cheaper than everybody all the time, it is up to you to shop wisely.
    It is like any other cost, it is only good if the ROI is greater than the investment.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    JustOneOfTheGuys Posts: 142
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Prices and availability of packers, prime or choice, is quite regional at Costco.  At the two clubs local to me one sells choice flats cut in half, while the other sells choice full flats with the point cap removed.  Both charge $6.99 per LB.  While traveling in central NJ this past weekend I stopped in at a Costco and they didn't have any brisket at all.  The local butcher there said that they rarely see that cut at their club.  I'm gonna check out the local Sams and Bjs to see what they have to offer in QUEable cuts.
    Southwestern CT
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Well, what he said was, "I can't find whole packers anywhere locally."

Surely he'll find something else to save a buck on so he won't be throwing 
    all that cash away.

Or, @Hibby, Columbus also has a Restaurant Depot which should have packers (and tons of other stuff). Free to join if you are a business owner (or know someone who is). Or, you could join KCBS for $35 and get access that way.Image result for restaurant depot brisket

Thanks for the heads up on the depot. I will check it out.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The first thing is get that doofuss avatar off
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @hibby check and see if there's a Gordon food service near you. It's like a mini restaurant depot, with no entry fee. The ones near me are really nice stores
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I second @Carolina Q  restaurant depot for the win.

Costco is great though - you'll surely buy a lot more than briskie.  I shop there twice a week.  Where else can you get a dog and soda for a buckfity?

Phoenix