Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time making wings, need simple tecipe

I've only had my egg a short time and I plan on doing my first indirect cook this weekend. I figure wings would be pretty easy.  Can someone share a nice recipe for the guest timer?  Just plain hot or sweet/hot would be fine. 

Thanks!

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I usually go raised direct for wings. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    This link will give you additional options:  Found using the forum search function-many, many wing threads.

Favourite chicken wing recipe?  

BTW -welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    And this Saturday, July 29th is National Chicken wing Day.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    There's 100 different ways to do it, but I'll tell you what I ended up with as my go-to for wings...

350ish, raised direct.
    If you cook them frozen right out of the Costco bag they'll take about 45 minutes.  Probably 35 if thawed.  
    I don't raise the lid for the first 15-20 minutes, but after that I'll check every 5-10  minutes to flip or rearrange around hot spots.

The wings absorb great flavor from the charcoal and any wood you decide to add (not needed, though).  Trust me when I say, you can rub them in anything.  From S&P, a mix of favorite spices form your pantry, or any dry rub you have.

Then just eat straight away, dip in blue cheese/ranch, or toss with your wing sauce of choice.  (you can just mix your favorite hot sauce on the stove with some butter).

You'll get some fantastic tips to this thread, no doubt.  I would encourage you to keep it simple for your first cook.  Short of burning, wings are tough to mess up and will taste great.  Since your new to the egg, focus your energy on maintaining temp and you'll come out looking like a pro.

I've also done indirect wing cooks as you noted.  They're great also with less need to flip and check for hot spots.   If you cook a LOT of wings (a packed full rack or two racks) you may get flare ups from the fat when you have the grill open.  So don't keep it up too long.  ;)

Good luck, post the results and welcome! 

LBGE/Maryland
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Wings indirect would be a lot like wings out of the oven - if you're looking for that, fine.

I would make wings "raised direct". Get the wings up away from the fire, but still letting that fat fall through without your plate setter soaking it up.

Use three aluminum cans, or three bricks, set into the notches on the fire ring, and place the grill on top of those. That gets the grill level with or above the gasket.

Melt a stick of butter, add it to a cup of hot sauce, honey and red chili flakes to taste. Soak the wings in that mixture for as long as you can, then put them on the grill with a dome temperature around 400ºf. 

My favorite way to make them; I like to use a cast iron pan with a couple inches of oil in it, get that oil up to 300º and quick fry the wings on both sides for a couple minutes, then drench them in the hot sauce "marinade". Then raise the grill and finish the wings above the fire until they're dry and internal temp is 170º-180º

Frying them first gets the skin crisp and they tend to hold the sauce better. Honey and red pepper flakes give me that sweet/hot Asian flavor my family likes. Teriyaki works instead of honey if you like. 

Enjoy, you can't make wings wrong no matter how you do it. Just bbq sauce makes them mighty tasty and real easy. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    There are a lot of ways to do great wings. I would also throw Mickey's coffee rub out there as something to try on your wings. I would add that you can still get crispy wings going indirect. Wings are like ribs, through trial and error you'll eventually figure out the method you like best.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    edited July 2017
    I mainly want to do indirect because I've never done it before and I have read that wings are something easy I can do. I would like them a little crispy so I was thinking of removing the platesetter at the end.   Any tips on how to pull off a crispy wing folllowing an indirect cook?

I want ant to do a basic hot wing sauce using Franks, butter, and maybe done garlic and/or honey.  Any suggestions on a sauce like this?    I have some dizzy dust and I'll probably use that for a rub. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    put the rub on all the wings, go with a raised setup indirect, have the wings cut up into drummies and wingettes. theres thicker skin on one side, that side cooks first to help crisp it up. drummies are placed around the circumference of the grill as the temp is hotter, the wingettes are cooked in the center. when done take half out and the other half dip in the franks/butter and dump back on grill in a pile for a few minutes. remove and serve everything with some bluecheese dressing. both dry and sauced wings. 350 dome temp works for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    mummer43 said:
    Can someone share a nice recipe for the guest timer?
    Not simple, in terms of taking 2 days to marinate, but easy to cook after that. One of the best I have every had.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1203783/yup-another-50-hour-georgia-red-wing-meal

Raleigh, NC
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I put them in the fridge overnight, then add some lemon pepper rub and cook indirect at 350 until done and raise the temp to 400 after they get close.  Then put in bowl with whatever sauce I like and serve with ranch and blue cheese dressings.  They are always crisp.  Also look up Griffins Grub site and try garlic parmesian chicken wings
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • mummer43
    mummer43 Posts: 36
    Thanks for all tips!!
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    I actually just did some wings last night. I usually do raised direct, but tried indirect for the first time since I was waiting for a turbo pork butt to finish. I think I like raised direct just a little bit better, but liked that indirect required less babysitting. These were cooked at 350 for just over an hour, no flipping, and sauced at the end. 

L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I noticed recently that Franks sells a wing sauce that is bottled just like their hot sauce, but it has some kind of butter and other stuff mixed in.  I almost grabbed it by mistake, so just be aware which you buy.  I haven't tried the wing sauce and have no idea how long it's been around, I just buy the hot sauce and mix my own.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Legume said:
    I noticed recently that Franks sells a wing sauce that is bottled just like their hot sauce, but it has some kind of butter and other stuff mixed in.  I almost grabbed it by mistake, so just be aware which you buy.  I haven't tried the wing sauce and have no idea how long it's been around, I just buy the hot sauce and mix my own.
    have picked up by accident once, can say i dont like it. franks and butter is the way to go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    While I lean toward raised direct now, I have done them indirect in the past.  It's not a low and slow.  As folks schooled me on when I asked... low and slow may give you a rubbery skin.

I think I did the below wings, indirect, at around 300ish as I put them on during a picnic just after I'd taken the ribs off and the grill was already setup for indirect.  Easy quick cook.   When they were done I tossed them in home made wing sauce (hot sauce, butter, red pepper flakes, etc).  Nobody complained. 

LBGE/Maryland
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Legume said:
    have picked up by accident once, can say i dont like it. franks and butter is the way to go
    I like Franks Wing Sauce. But I haven't tried the hot sauce an butter route.

@Legume you should try it and see if it works for you.

Doing wings on the MM tonight and plan to use Franks Wing Sauce.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• KiterTodd
    edited July 2017
    That's what most restaurants do (not the fancy ones) and is the recipe on the back of the Frank's hot sauce bottle;)

I think they just started making bottled wing sauces so you didn't have to do it yourself.  Although, then they have to put something in other than butter so it doesn't coagulate in the jar.  Easy to make yourself and hey... butter! =)

For what it's worth, I don't use as much butter as they say.  They have you using more butter than hot sauce.  I lean heavily the other way. Add any other spices you may want.  Your guests will go, "wow! Did you make this? What's the recipe for this sauce?"
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    KiterTodd said:
    That's what most restaurants do (not the fancy ones) and is the recipe on the back of the Frank's hot sauce bottle;)

I think they just started making bottled wing sauces so you didn't have to do it yourself.  Although, then they have to put something in other than butter so it doesn't coagulate in the jar.  Easy to make yourself and hey... butter! =)

For what it's worth, I don't use as much butter as they say.  They have you using more butter than hot sauce.  I lean heavily the other way. Add any other spices you may want.  Your guests will go, "wow! Did you make this? What's the recipe for this sauce?"
    And try a little real honey in there with that real butter once in a while too.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Technique and recipe all in one!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95