Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much brisket will fit

ceeejay57
ceeejay57 Posts: 19
You all have been so helpful with all of my questions, I have one more.  I have a 22-1/2 BGE and need to smoke a brisket for a party next weekend.  I measured inside of the lid, and I have 19 inches in diameter to work with.  A friend said I should get a 6 - 9 lb one and cut it in half to create more burnt ends.  I am going to use Raichlin's Smokelahoma Brisket recipe and am looking for suggestions on size I can fit under the dome.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if you line the front and back of the egg with foil you can scrunch the biggest brisket they sell in there ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As above, I have a LBGE (whatever the dimensions are) and can get a 15-16LB brisket on there by initially laying it over a brick til shrinkage takes over.  Just make sure any part that is outside your heat deflector is foil protected to preclude direct heat.  
    I will refrain from any comment on the burnt ends plan.  ;)

Here's a link that contains many takes on a brisket cook:

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Depends on the brisket. I have had some 15# briskets that were long requiring a rib rack under it. I have also had a 20.5# that fit perfectly on the large as it was very thick but not so long. I don't know anything about the recipe you're using but I find larger briskets are much easier to cook and get right than a tiny piece.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    20.7 lbs pre-trimmed. It was a tight fit but they shrink quite a bit during the cook.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ceeejay57

Thinking about cooking it next weekend for a party on 7/1.  Should I freeze it whole or slice it 1st?

• dksBGE
    dksBGE Posts: 4
    Which way did you freeze it?  ANexia the outcome?   Thank you. 
  • ceeejay57
    Sorry, I froze it before slicing.  Brought it back up to 205 and then sliced it.  Heated up the juices from the smoking and served it with it.  It was awesome.