Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orlando BBQ Restaurant Recommendations

Options
Hi Everyone,

Heading to Orlando next week and looking for recommendations for a GREAT BBQ restaurant.  I've Google it, and have a list of possibilities, but would rather know the recommendation are from people that KNOW BBQ.

I have a fondness for brisket and love trying local specialties. 

Anyone have a favourite?

Thanks!
Sue 
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start. ~Anthony Bourdain

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You might as well be looking for a unicorn. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    BBQ in Orlando? You need to hook up with an egger. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Try 4 Rivers Smokehouse...they've got 3 or 4 locations...I've only tried it once because its so crowded all the time but the brisket was very good.......
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    55drum said:
    Try 4 Rivers Smokehouse...they've got 3 or 4 locations...I've only tried it once because its so crowded all the time but the brisket was very good.......
    On this note...and as a serious response, I have never been to 4 Rivers. I have used their rubs and their Espresso Rub is my favorite. I am about out.....and need to place an order....thanks for the reminder @55drum

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    4rivers is probably your best bet, not a mom and pop place but very good each time I've had it
  • Seapointbakers
    Options

Stumbled across this place when I was there in Feb for a golf trip. Not bad.

http://yellowdogeats.com/

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Living here in Orlando the only ok place is 4 Rivers, keep in mind its massed produced BBQ. However there are alot of other good restaurants in Downtown Orlando.
    O-Town, FL

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    If you are near the airport check out the Gnarly Barley
    O-Town, FL

• ActonSue
    ActonSue Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. :) We'll be visiting lots of restaurants during our stay. (Visiting family - so not a "Disney" holiday) 

Canada isn't "known" for BBQ - I LOVE what I cook...and haven't been impressed with any of my local places. I love sampling wherever I go. ;) 
    Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start. ~Anthony Bourdain
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ActonSue said:

Canada isn't "known" for BBQ 
    Same goes for Florida...Travel safe and have a great time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    4 Rivers is average at best. I agree with @Photo Egg, go with the local specialties, seafood etc. Orlando has a ton of great dining choices that are not BBQ.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    For breakfast there's a place called the Coop in Winter Park that's really good.  I also heard the Yellow Dog Eats is a real cool place.  I've never been but heard it's good.   
    You might also want to hit up an Applebee's while you're there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    4 Rivers is average at best. I agree with @Photo Egg, go with the local specialties, seafood etc. Orlando has a ton of great dining choices that are not BBQ.
    I've been wondering about 4 rivers, it's right next to a hotel I stay at near UCF.  Lots of restaurants around there, but cater to the college crowd.  Food is good, but focus on pizza (lazy moon), wings (buffalo wild wings), etc.   

Surprisingly, there is a Chuy's there.  Authentic Austin Tex Mex if you looking for that.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    They have one in Orlando but the one in Kissimmee is better. Charlie's Steak House. Bone in Ribeye with Califlower and lobster mac and cheese sides. It is not cheap but man it is a good steak and service is always awesome.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Chuy's is amazing.  I think there may be four in the Orlando area now!  Love that place!  Count me in as a fan of 4 Rivers.  Way better than any other place I've found around Florida.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    4R is the best you will get as regards to BBQ.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In Orlando you are centrally located to a lot of great places.
    I usually try to hit a Mom and Pop shop, in whatever city I am in. Is usually the best.
    An hour on the Beachline will get you to Cocoa Beach/ Canaveral area for some good seafood, I recommend HarbourTown Marina restaurant.
    Sanatra's fine dining is a short drive up to Casa Dega, with a ghost story history.
    If you head north on the turnpike about an hour , I would say Stumpknocker's for Steak and Seafood, good catfish.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    thetrim said:
    For breakfast there's a place called the Coop in Winter Park that's really good.  I also heard the Yellow Dog Eats is a real cool place.  I've never been but heard it's good.   
    You might also want to hit up an Applebee's while you're there!
    The Coop is another restaurant started by John Rivers, the R in 4 Rivers.
    https://asouthernaffair.com - too far for us to go for breakfast but we do enjoy 4 Rivers in Winter Park, the first location, when we visit family in Orlando. When your meal is over, you have got to go to the Sweet Shop and take something home for a snack.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.