Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night wonderment...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
This week we have had discussions and opinions on both ends about cleaning or not cleaning a SmokeWare cap. Other times the cleaning issues have been about grates themselves. Other times about whether to foil plate setters or not. Even doing an occasional clean burn out AGAINST cleaning the blackened, flaking insides gets some people here riled.

Not to piss anybody off, but honestly I have seen pictures posted here that somehow, someway I would avoid eating if I saw the nasty looking grate or PS underneath that they came from! 

NOW - let the opinions begin - but NO FLAMES - OK?  
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited July 2017
    Options

But, that's exactly how I clean it - FLAMES!!!
    I guess I tend to clean it once in a while, but don't get too exuberant about it.  I'll foil the platesetter if I expect a lot of mess, but a foil pan tends to do the job usually - maybe a bit of a scrape.

The only thing that really gets to me is the two times I've found mold.  That's the only two times I've done the clean burn and scrub.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ron let me be the first to say, you're one of my favorite forum members. Seriously. That said, a little alum foil and olive oil spray goes a long way.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @RRP -  great toss for a Friday night.  Gotta admit that I have never judged the finished product by the cleanliness of the BGE and related pieces/parts.  I figure the fire can take care of anything that needs to be flash-fried before it's mine.  But as a card carrying member of the "get off my lawn" club I can see where others may have some concerns.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat off something that will be way past sterilization temp during cooking? 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Must burn everything off .. Or the raccoons will take care of the cleaning.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RRP
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat off something that will be way past sterilization temp during cooking? 
    LOL - on the surface your question makes sense - but I might wonder how long those ABT's, ribs, butts or other typically lo and slo cooked items were in there with the "green wavy fingers"! Get my drift?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Y'all are clean freaks. ;).  I just don't see the purpose.  If black stuff was falling onto my food ok.  But it doesn't.  I'll scrape the grate but that's it.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Oh, and I generally wash my hands 30-50 times a day.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for filthy grill buildup

Yuurrrmmmm
    Options
    Image result for filthy grill buildup

Yuurrrmmmm
    LOL! The only picture that I should have posted, which I never took - years ago before it was so easy to do today...was down in FL at a very nice camp ground. I went out that afternoon to fire up the permanent "grill" by us only to find disgusting human turds! I guess ever since I have been more than sensitive to seeing similar **** on any grate I intend to eat food from! 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Whats a smoke ware cap?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    Options
    Whats a smoke ware cap?
    It's that SS thing you don't understand you're missing. =)
  • RRP
    Options
    Whats a smoke ware cap?
    Ahhhh, something that I think Alwan's would mark up another 150%  over Amazon! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    crapping on a campground grill?  Must be the same miscreants that do the...

Image result for upper decker
    Options
    Ah, an uppe decker. Imsave those for my friends. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    Huh? THANK YOU for not liking me, nor inviting me over!

want me to be VERY NASTY with you to assure that you will never invite me over? 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    RRP said:
    Huh? THANK YOU for not liking me, nor inviting me over!

want me to be VERY NASTY with you to assure that you will never invite me over? 
    No need to be nasty.   Just bc you live near me is no means to inviteyou to myhome.  Hell, I havent invited the nasty obease neighbors over to my my house. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Was at my wife's daughters apartment in Austin this past weekend and saw that they have a communal XL BGE.  I wondered to myself how many people have used it and lit it with lighter fluid. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Was at my wife's daughters apartment in Austin this past weekend and saw that they have a communal XL BGE.  I wondered to myself how many people have used it and lit it with lighter fluid. 
    What a cool amenity for the residents, even if most can't appreciate it. I'm guessing there's also a decent risk of a flashback for those who don't realize they need to burp at higher temps.
    Stillwater, MN
  • saluki2007
    Options
    And another note, we are just not on the same wave lengths Ron.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite. When I first got my egg I didn't really understand the process of cleaning it or maintaining it. After 2-3 months, it began to look a little grungy. That was when I discovered the cleaning method of the burnout. I don't go over the top with it but I normally do one every 3-5 cooks now depending on the amount of meat put through it. Both times I've smoked, I've done a burnout immediately following though I don't honestly know if it needed it or not. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Picked up the crap-encrusted platesetter off the ground after cooking my steak last night, and lo and behold, it was covered with ants. Hmm. Maybe I should clean it once in while? Later! I've got a steak to eat! That's how I end up never cleaning anything other than the pre-heat cycle.
    Oh, ants and all went in the hot egg before I went in.
    Don't tell anybody.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I know Ron said no flames, but I just can't help myself, this thread is just too important as a PSA.

Sometimes when I'm lighting the egg, I also hit the grid with the weedburner and then smack it with the ash tool so the burned, loose stuff falls off.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Must burn everything off .. Or the raccoons will take care of the cleaning.
    Agreed... Just leave the lid open, our little masked friends do a great job of licking the grate clean!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Oh, and I generally wash my hands 30-50 times a day.
    Is the carpet that dirty?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm a Thunder Buddy to many!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Ron - why do you hate America?!?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ron - why do you hate America?!?!?!?
    Because of his bastard ex boss, isn't that obvious?