Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken, home-made marinade

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I tried a different marinade for jerk chicken this evening, from my late, still dearly beloved Gourmet magazine from years ago.  I've made a marinade from Helen Willinsky's book, Jerk - Barbecue From Jamaica before and loved it, but it's been so long I can't really compare the two.  They're similar -- this one was just delicious.

Grilled Jerk Chicken - Gourmet magazine, May 2002

For jerk marinade:
3 scallions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 to 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

I used a couple of packs of chicken thighs, bone-in.

Much Abbreviated Directions:  Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth, marinate chicken in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge overnight.

Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
I grilled it around 275°-300° on Grill Grates to cut down on drips and chicken fat smoke, used a few Cherry chips, and it was really tasty.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Theophan -  Looks great right there.  Thanks also for the recipe as Walkerswood can be hard to find around here.  I will definitely give the above recipe a go. 
    Looks like you ran indirect?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That looks wonderful. I might give this one a shot in the near future. 

Little Rock, AR

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Saved for next weekend! Thanks!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Theophan
    lousubcap said:
    @Theophan -  Looks great right there.  Thanks also for the recipe as Walkerswood can be hard to find around here.  I will definitely give the above recipe a go. 
    Looks like you ran indirect?
    No, it was direct, but on GrillGrates, so maybe you could call it semi-direct or semi-indirect or something.  I feel like the GrillGrates have cut back enough on burned-fat smoke flavor from burgers that they taste noticeably better to me, and sometimes I've had trouble grilling chicken direct with fat dripping down and burning back up again, so I thought I'd try the Grill Grates with this.  But no plate setter.

I like Walkerswood, but both of the home-made marinades I've made so far taste sweeter to me, so I've gotten in the habit of adding some more allspice to the Walkerswood when I use it.  I like the home-made ones a lot better, but I have to say it sure is easy just to open a jar...

FWIW, it might be worth looking at specialty grocery stores.  There's a store near me that specializes in serving Latino/Hispanic people, with a wealth of amazing stuff that just aren't in the regular stores -- produce I have NO idea what it is or what to do with it, just really cool.  Lots of kinds of meats that I've never seen, etc..  But they also have a ton of products related to South American and Caribbean cuisine, and they carry multiple brands of Jamaican seasonings, notably including a bunch of Walkerswood products.  Don't know what your area is like, but it might be worth looking around.

Thanks to all for the kind comments!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Theophan - thanks for the detailed comments above.  I need to GOYA (get off your a$$) and check out the local speciality stores as you suggest.  However, your comments about the home-made marinades resonates with me.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    @lousubcap. Not sure what you and @Theophan have going on, but most would rather say GOMA.  Maybe this is some submariner thing that I'm misinterpreting and don't wanna know about!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Looks and sounds good.

@lousubcap try Cost Plus World Market if you have one near you.  Great source for imported jerk, Korean BBQ marinade and others.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
    Mouth watering, and it's only breakfast time here! Looks awesome, bud.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Love Jerk! 

That recipe is very similar to the one I use from Blanchard's in Anguilla. 

I've also read where it is technically not Jerk  unless it is smoked with Pimento Wood - available only in Jamaica and at www.pimentowood.com. Check it out. No personal interest.... Pimento imparts a great flavor and a great color too. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    That looks pretty good. I just made a batch using Raichlens chicken recipe from "Planet Barbecue". I'd have to say, it was blah. This is more like his pork recipe from the book.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Love jerk.  well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks awesome! I may just have to do some jerk chicken soon. Thanks for the inspiration 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Thanks for sharing this.  Your chicken looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
  • Theophan
    Many thanks for all of the kind comments!

Regarding Raichlen's recipe (I assume for jerk) being "blah," that's interesting!  I've only done a recipe or two of his, and they were really good.  And I've never had jerk that was blah.  I was a little surprised that with 4 habaneros in this one, it was only a little hot.  The first time I ever tasted jerk was in a little restaurant in the Outer Banks of NC, I think it was, and I'd never eaten anything that HOT in my life!  It was just delicious!  But I actually had to stop for a bit during the meal to let my mouth cool down a little before I could eat any more of it.  Wow, that stuff was HOT.  This wasn't anywhere near that hot.  Made my mouth tingle a bit, but it really wasn't super hot.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Wasn't the hot, so much as no other taste. His jerk chicken recipe only has the onions, peppers, oil, allspice, thyme(?), salt & pepper. Smelled good. Not wishing to kill my wife or myself, I substituted some homegrown Havasu's.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That is some fine lookin' chicken! I love the color you get with jerk and your finished pics are spot on!

I really need to try a homebrew recipe. I have Willinsky's recipe (and a few others), but all I've ever used is Walkerswood or Grace brand (which I think is comparable to WW).

WW has a mild version as well as hot. Grace, hot only, as far as I know. The mild truly is mild, and it has considerably less sodium for some reason. So, sometimes I buy mild and add a habanero or two (not to the whole jar, just to the amount I'm using).

@lousubcap, try Walmart. I don't recall seeing WW, but they do carry Grace.
    One of these days, I may spring for some pimento wood, but so far, I haven't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Great results, and a most useful post. I have a couple of jerk recipes, and I'll save that one. I suppose its the freshness, but when I go to the trouble of making my own marinades & sauces, they always seem to be better than what I get out of a bottle.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Inspired me- rubbed this baby down will be on the grill later this evening.  

I do have access to Walkerswood- it was in the fridge but I buy it at Central Market (HEB).  Spatchcock Raised Direct to follow in a few hours.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Looks amazing! 

Recipe saved, thanks for sharing!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Looks AWESOME! If you want to try pimento wood chips they are on line. Much stronger than cherry. Cost more but use far less. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nicely done and thanks for the recipe.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.