Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions regarding my first batch of ribs

Options
XK150
XK150 Posts: 2
Good Afternoon,

To start, thanks a million for all the great responses to my fist post yesterday... which prompted a couple more questions.

1. Think I will go with the St. Louis ribs for my first try... Will look at Costco today... Are the Costco St. Louis ribs already trimmed?

2. I did purchase a rib rack... should I use it or just lay on the grate bones down?

3. For a dry rub, do I still use mustard so rub will stick?

4. How important is it to wrap the ribs in foil instead of just looking low and slow on the grate for the entire time?

Thanks for all your help
Large Big Green Egg and Weber Genesis Grill

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Lotsa questions, if your doing more than one rack you'll need a rib rack. I use mustard to help the rub adhere. I don't wrap anymore, but rather run the ribs straight thru @ 275. Most importantly, have fun and don't overthink the cook.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tim gave you great advice and would be exactly what I would have told you.  The only thing I would add is that St. Louis ribs are trimmed spare ribs.  So if you don't see any St. Louis style there get the spares and you can trim them to STL style yourself very easily.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL