Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May be in over my head :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    Chicken, round 1

• Sirk98
    Options
    Round 2 on the fire

had to snuff it in between as temp climbed > 500 degrees

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Yep.  Zoning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Impressed!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Looks like you have more than enough for your guests. Hope you are relaxing and basking in the glow of a job well done. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Success!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Congrats on the cook @Sirk98!  Turns out this wasn't over your head at all..... it was right in your wheelhouse!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited July 2017
    Options
    .... deleted ..... looks like you have it handled!  Nice job.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Sirk98
    Options
    I had my probe in one on the bottom. Wonder if too was faster for me as well.  Luckily butts are forgiving :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Sirk98 said:
    I had my probe in one on the bottom. Wonder if too was faster for me as well.  Luckily butts are forgiving :)
    Could have been, but like you said butts are forgiving.  Looks like you nailed'em.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Good job man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Bravo sir! Bravo!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Completely fell apart? Sounds like it's done perfectly. The statement "jeez Teefus, this pork is far too tender" has never been uttered by anyone anytime.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Consider wrapping and putting butts in oven to finish --can get three butts on my xl at once and would do chicken as pieces not spatchcock and with two grates in my xl I can get about 12 breasts and 12 thighs on at once.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great job "pulling" this off!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Nothing other than Congrats for one he1l of a cook and delivering on the far end.  You definitely got it done and with style.  After this, your Q life will be a whole lot simpler I'm sure.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sirk98
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Great job "pulling" this off!!!!
    I like what you did there :)
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You can easily get 6-7 spatchcock chickens on your XL. They will feed lots more people than ribs and offer a better variety. I would not guess 1/4 per person. I think many might do small pp sandwich and a little chicken. It will balance out.
    If you have multiple levels, yes.  But, once those birds are spread out, they take up a good amount of real estate.  I fit 3 on my XL comfortably.  I suggest quartering the birds.  This will provide a lot more flexibility in fitting the pieces. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job and success!!!  I know. You had some happy guest... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • georgia boy
    Options
    Great job @Sirk98 ! Looks fantastic.  Did you end up cooking burgers and hot dogs too?  How many people ended up coming?  (just curious based on food / ppl ratio)
    MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
    ig: dewsouthbbq