Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Thawing of a Brisket

how long will it take to defrost a 14# brisket from the deep freeze? 

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Good question.
    In a refrigerator? In a bucket of cold water? On the counter?
    Probably as long as a 14# turkey.
    3 days in the refrigerator. 24 hours +/- in a bucket of water.
    I wouldn't thaw on the counter.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2017
    In my bar fridge, surrounded by beer, it takes four days for a USDA Prime from Costco. Maybe more, if you don't open the door so often looking for the beer....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    In a cooler or sink full of cold water, change water every 30 min or so.  Less than 5 HR. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Give it 3 days at a minimum, but 5 days would be for sure enough.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    It took about 4 days for a 16 pounder to thaw in my fridge.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Many rates you can thaw it at depending on if you thaw in water or air and the temperature of that medium.

Here's some food for thought:  Take it out of the freezer a couple hours before  you want to cook, throw in a bucket of water.  120 F or less.

While it's thawing in the water, start your EGG and get the temp stabilized about 10 or 20 F above where you want to cook it.

After an hour or two, when the fire is ready and you have good smoke, take the brisket out of the wrap and season like normal.  If you're Jack Sprat with your trimming, it will need to thaw a lot more, but no need to waste fat, right?

Anyway, throw it on frozen.  It doesn't matter.  Some people actually swear they get a better brisket.
    4 days for a 15#er here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    All good advice, thanks fellas!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    I have to remember next time to try a frozen brisket instead of thawing it all the way. Thanks for the posts.
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Many rates you can thaw it at depending on if you thaw in water or air and the temperature of that medium.

Here's some food for thought:  Take it out of the freezer a couple hours before  you want to cook, throw in a bucket of water.  120 F or less.

While it's thawing in the water, start your EGG and get the temp stabilized about 10 or 20 F above where you want to cook it.

After an hour or two, when the fire is ready and you have good smoke, take the brisket out of the wrap and season like normal.  If you're Jack Sprat with your trimming, it will need to thaw a lot more, but no need to waste fat, right?

Anyway, throw it on frozen.  It doesn't matter.  Some people actually swear they get a better brisket.
    while @nolaegghead makes fun of my use of words on here (hopefully in jest)..

I believe his outline will not steer you incorrectly...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga