Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost there...

Options
I purchased a LBGE a 2-3 weeks back but haven't picked it up from the store yet. They built it for me ... but now it sits in their back room. I am building a table... I'll keep you all posted on the progress. I also am skipping the platesetter and ordering some stuff from Ceramic Grill Store... Thinking of starting with the R&B Combo and going from there. I really have no clue how to use this Egg but am excited to try and happy to have such a great resource as this forum! (Main reason I bought an Egg). 

Going with English Chestnut stain and then a good sealant. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Time to bring her on home. Good move on purchase from CGS. Welcome to the madness! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Not trying to knock you or anything like that but I'm curious why you'd skip the platesetter if you're new to the Egg and don't have a clue how to use it?  Don't get me wrong - I have bought stuff from CGS, but 5 years in on my LBGE and I use my platesetter more than some of the stuff I've purchased from CGS. Just wondering...

Great looking table!!  I wish I had the room to get a table where I cook, but I'm stuck with mine in a nest and a small patio table next to it.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Not trying to knock you or anything like that but I'm curious why you'd skip the platesetter if you're new to the Egg and don't have a clue how to use it?  Don't get me wrong - I have bought stuff from CGS, but 5 years in on my LBGE and I use my platesetter more than some of the stuff I've purchased from CGS. Just wondering...

Great looking table!!  I wish I had the room to get a table where I cook, but I'm stuck with mine in a nest and a small patio table next to it.
    Great question. I was hoping the AR Combo would do everything the platesetter would do but allow more room to grow/add-on .... Basically some experienced Egg users advised this route.. hopefully it will be ok haha. 
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Stoogie said:

Great question. I was hoping the AR Combo would do everything the platesetter would do but allow more room to grow/add-on .... Basically some experienced Egg users advised this route.. hopefully it will be ok haha. 
    Cool, like I said - just curious.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Stoogie said:

This.  Had a PS with my first egg, a medium.  When I upgraded to a large I went straight to CGS AR and never looked back.  You'll do fine jumping right in.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Stoogie said:

You did great on your choice. Rig is a much better value in the long run and so much more versatile.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sunder1025
    sunder1025 Posts: 24
    Options
    My wife got me one of those bundle deals on a large egg at Christmas and it came with a plate setter.  I ordered an AR combo right away.  My plate setter is still virgin white and I can't think of a time I would use it over the AR.
    Toronto, ON - Large
  • mjfutures
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the comments! Glad it sounds like I made a wise choice! Having decided on a table and patiently getting it done has helped me avoid any rush purchases.....

So, Large Egg, Ceramic Grill Cart full of stuff ... and I just added this Army Green Thermapen MK4 .... think I'm almost ready to fire this bad boy up!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @mjfutures - you should get the BGE home independent of the table and fire it up and start the cook/learn process.  BGE will perform wonders regardless of its stand/location.  FWIW-  ;)
    BTW- did anyone tell you that an Army Green Thermapen is the slowest they make and will need batteries every week for sustainment??  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mjfutures
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @mjfutures - you should get the BGE home independent of the table and fire it up and start the cook/learn process.  BGE will perform wonders regardless of its stand/location.  FWIW-  ;)
    BTW- did anyone tell you that an Army Green Thermapen is the slowest they make and will need batteries every week for sustainment??  =)
    haha, i hope you're kidding about the Army Green batteries!  :o

and yes i should have brought the BGE home weeks ago haha, seems easier to tell my family about all the cool stuff we can make without actually doing it  :s
  • mjfutures
    Options
    Brought it home .. table will be ready tomorrow. Kind of strange, didn't know it came with this cart or I would have picked it up in June when I purchased.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I'd hold onto the nest if you don't end up liking the table. It's something nice to fall back on. Some eggers have gone to a table only to find themselves going back to the nest a year or two later.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mjfutures
    Options
    Ahh, will do! The nest does seem really handy.