Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Anyone Really Need a BGE??

Options

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    4-5 days per week - absolutely. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    From the link:
    Consumer Reports thinks the average joe backyard cook is nothing more than a weiner warmer or burger burner. 

I, for one, NEED a BGE.
    As nice as it is to be able to cook at both of these extremes, the burgers and brats you’re likely to cook this summer need nothing more than an even-burning fire. The Big Green Egg heats evenly, but it won’t do anything for your franks that a kettle grill wouldn’t. And it costs about 10 times as much. All of which is to say, the Egg is definitely not for the casual summer griller. But if you grill or smoke meats year-round or you routinely make coal-fired pizza, it might be worth considering this extraordinarily rare breed.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Keep in mind these are the same people that rated the tesla the best car ever. 

I cancelled a few years ago. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    it was years after getting the egg before cooking my first burger on it =) now i have a blackstone for burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Consumer Reports is a washed up joke. They once proclaimed that Old Milwaukee was the best tasting beer in America. 

They are as whacky as Dr Oz. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    you routinely make coal-fired pizza
    Gotta keep the coal miners employed, right? 

As a longtime subscriber I have to agree that CR lost its way a few years ago and continues to head down the wrong fork in the road. I won't be renewing again.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    I quit reading CR a loooong time ago since reviews of anything can now be read basically anywhere.
    But right now I need the BGE because it serves as a grill, smoker, pizza oven and dessert oven.. all of these in one especially during the summer when I want as much heat out of my home as possible.
    Hardly go out to bbq joints and burger fast food joints anymore. Hardly order delivery pizza either.
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    I have had many different grills and smokers and now have an XL and love it. 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Never gave the sweat off a rats ass what CR thought of anything. Not gonna start now lol...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I wanted a BGE for a while...got it and now I see that I really NEED 2. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Does anyone really need anything other than a microwave?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Those of us with Sovaro luxury coolers have to have something to grill on.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Truly depends if one is satisfied with eating food of which no charcoals were fired.

For Years I thought people who cooked on eggs were two ticks off center.
    I now have confirmed two ticks off center equals pure genius.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Do I need one?  No, I need six.  One would not do.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My two cents. I did not know anything about the egg until a friend showed it to me. I was not impressed with any of the cooking ability. I was just tired of buying or replacing my gasser grates, burners and patching the bottom case. I have way more money spent on cheap **** then I do my two eggs. The real kicker was life time guarantee. However it has made me want to be a better cook and I do enjoy BBQ and smoking more.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I didn't know I really needed a BGE until I got one, then I needed a second. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Man it is early in the week for everyone to get their panties in a twist.  

CR may not be what they once were, but in this example what is incorrect?  In their comparison they say that by all measures, the Egg is superior to a Weber kettle.  Whether or not it is worth it, depends entirely on how it will be used.  I know that if a coworker asked me about a grill recommendation and I knew it was only to cook hot dogs, burgers, sausages, and the occasional pork chops or veggies every other weekend between the beginning of May and the end of September, I would never suggest the egg, the $100 basic weber kettle at home depot would be fine for them.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't think anybody needs a BGE until they get one of course then you need more! 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Acn said:

CR may not be what they once were, but in this example what is incorrect?  In their comparison they say that by all measures, the Egg is superior to a Weber kettle.  Whether or not it is worth it, depends entirely on how it will be used.  I know that if a coworker asked me about a grill recommendation and I knew it was only to cook hot dogs, burgers, sausages, and the occasional pork chops or veggies every other weekend between the beginning of May and the end of September, I would never suggest the egg, the $100 basic weber kettle at home depot would be fine for them.  
    I've talked more than 1 person out of an egg while giving it high praise. One of my neighbors almost bought one but went with the cheapo knockoff to give it a try and see if he'd use it. He doesn't. Very happy he didn't spend the money on it to just sit there. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Actually, even if I only used it like the typical backyard burger cook I would still be happy I bought my Egg. I was so tired of replacing a gasser every few years that the durability alone was worth it to me. All the other tricks the Egg can do are just a bonus.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    Does anyone really need anything other than a microwave?
    I have been tying to tell these gentlemen that for the better part of a year!

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Acn said:

I've talked more than 1 person out of an egg while giving it high praise. One of my neighbors almost bought one but went with the cheapo knockoff to give it a try and see if he'd use it. He doesn't. Very happy he didn't spend the money on it to just sit there. 
    Problem is, if you buy a sh1tty knock off of any quality product, you don't use it because it's not sayisfying to use.
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Actually, even if I only used it like the typical backyard burger cook I would still be happy I bought my Egg. I was so tired of replacing a gasser every few years that the durability alone was worth it to me. All the other tricks the Egg can do are just a bonus.
    I do burgers pretty routinely on my egg and I will say much better than on a gasser or regular charcoal grill.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i really question if they really used it or just read old articles, that low and slow comment with "roasting temps 330 f" lasting 6 or more hours has been around a long time. i must have read that 15 years ago about the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It sounds pretty accurate to me. The casual griller certainly does not need a BGE... but the converse is also true, people who have BGEs are certainly not casual grillers, either.

If all you are going to do is burgers and brats and hot dogs, save your money and get a cheap gasser or kettle. A Weber Kettle for $100 will last a lifetime. If you want to step up your game, get a BGE.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I pondered for years before I dipped my toe in and bought my medium. I like to save up and buy the real deal personally. I find myself more often satisfied that way.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I obviously need 3.
    But we do entertain out back often.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Consumer Reports is a washed up joke. They once proclaimed that Old Milwaukee was the best tasting beer in America. 

They are as whacky as Dr Oz. 
    I thought Old Milwaukee was great in the 60's as a teenager. :)
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I didn't think I needed one till after I bought it.  If the apocalypse happens, I'll be the guy lugging around a large in a custom made wheel barrow, feeding the guys who used to have gassers.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot