Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger seasoning

I've always been a purist and just tossed some salt and pepper on my burger just before grilling but was curious if any of you guys have come up with some creative rubs or store bought rubs that make a difference worth checking out.

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I really like Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub.  It's a peppery blend that makes burgers taste unbelievably good.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Hub said:
    I really like Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub.  It's a peppery blend that makes burgers taste unbelievably good.
    Yep, same here.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    SPOG 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    For something a little different I like a mix of Tsunami Spin and Old Bay.   Other than that it's just SPOG.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I also like DP Cowlick, but I also like their Raising the Steaks (more like a Montreal).  I usually don't put a lot on, nowhere near as much as I'd put on something as a rub.  More like sprinkling salt and pepper on it, amount-wise.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Umami burger. White on rice blog. Trust.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I mix in a bit of pepper, dijon and worcestershire. Salt the  burger before cooking.
  • Another vote for Cowlick. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    I will use anything made for steaks. I am a big fan of the following in no particular order:

salt and pepper
    oakridge rubs
    runnin wild rubs. 
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Glad to hear that a lot of people like the cowlick because my local market actually stocks most of the Dizzy pig line. May have to swing by one night this week.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Dale's 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Pour tomato juice over salted patties 90 mins before cooking, plain tomato juice

From the mortons cookbook

Incredible results
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Call me old fashion or plain Jane 
    salt pepper garlic powder onion powder and cayenne pepper.  That's my fab five which is a standard go to
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    I use one packet of ranch powder for 1 lb of ground chuck works great.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I do like the seasoning mixture for the margaritaville burger clone recipe. I think the celery salt adds a good taste. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    SPOG is good, but sometimes I like to grab some of my BBQ rubs.  Cow lick is good, I also enjoy Salt Licks rub.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    A little Dale's and Worcestershire and Montreal steak seasoning here..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillSgt
    Pour tomato juice over salted patties 90 mins before cooking, plain tomato juice

Incredible results
    OK , sounds interesting so I went looking for the recipe. (wife says I can't find a gallon of milk in an empty fridge) So like a T or 2 on top or more like marinating in it?
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    I put Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks (Montreal type steak seasoning) usually. I have also tried DP Cowlick and Meat Church's Holy Cow rub as well with good results.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Hub said:
    Yep, same here.
    Yep x 3
    New Albany, Ohio 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I use Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormick's) on my burgers. I have tried their Worcestershire seasoning.....let me say don't bother trying that. Not so good.

If you don't have access to any of the local and specialty seasonings available through narrow channels.......the Montreal is a good commercial all purpose seasoning in my opinion.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Meadow creek BBQ seasoning and a little mesquite shake from the Goode Company 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • Raising the Steaks.  it's amazing on burgers
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Teaspoon of Dales steak seasoning & teaspoon of Zesty Italian salad dressing on top of the burger just before putting it on the grill .. amazing!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I like Meat Church Holy Cow, DP Raising the Steaks and DP Cowlick, Lawry's Season salt and pepper.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Holy Cow from Meatchurch. Or just Hidden Valley Ranch powder
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654

Incredible results
    GrillSgt said:
    OK , sounds interesting so I went looking for the recipe. ... So like a T or 2 on top or more like marinating in it?
    I got curious, too, and looked for recipes.  It looks like in the cookbook from Morton's Steakhouse, and in a recipe from the restaurant, the tomato juice is mixed in the meat:

Serves 6 

4 lbs. coarse-grind ground sirloin
    4 large eggs
    ¾ c tomato juice
    1 T salt
    1 t freshly ground black pepper

6 large hamburger buns
    3 T clarified butter
    6 ½-inch thick slices tomato
    6 ¼-inch thick slices Spanish onion
    6 large leaves iceberg lettuce
    Ketchup or another topping, for serving

1. Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil and position the rack as close to the heat source as possible.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sirloin, eggs, tomato juice, salt, and pepper. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. Divide the meat into six equal portions and gently form them into patties. Transfer to the broiler pan, and using a small sharp knife, make a crosshatch mark on the top of each burger about 1/8 inch deep. (This lets the juices percolate through the burger, and we also like the way it looks.)

3. Brush the inside of each bun with the butter. Toast the buns in the broiler for about 30 seconds on each side, or until lightly browned; be careful that the buns don’t get too browned. Remove the buns and cover to keep warm. Reposition the broiler tray so that it is about 6 inches from the heat. 

4. Broil the burgers for 3 to 3.5 minutes on each side for rare, 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, and 4.5 to 5 minutes on each side for medium. 

5. To serve, put the bottom half of each bun on a plate. Top with a burger and then a tomato slice, onion slice, and lettuce leaf. Add the top of the bun. Repeat. Serve with ketchup if desired.

I only tried an egg yolk in burgers once, sorta liked it, never did it again, though.  Enough people have raved about this that it looks worth a try.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Mostly just salt, garlic powder, and Worcester sauce. I might try some of my new rubs for a change though
  • GrillSgt
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA