Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Incredibly stupid Pepper Stout FAIL, mostly salvaged.

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
It's not easy, when you get old, my friends.  I used to joke with my wife, saying, "Dementia isn't all it's cracked up to be..." ha ha, but it's less and less funny as we both get more and more forgetful and just less competent.  Oh well.  Last night, at least it wasn't my fault -- the store sold me some shrimp that were just too old, and didn't smell or taste good.  But I cooked them perfectly well.

Tonight, though, I thought I'd try Pepper Stout Beef for the first time.  Smoked it fine (it looks bloody in the picture below, but it wasn't, something about the sunlight made it look that way), put the stuff in the Dutch Oven, put the chuck roast on it, BUT for some reason my addled old brain decided I'd take the Plate Setter out as I reset the vents for 350°, so the overall temperature was right, but the radiant heat hitting the DO directly from the fire had the stuff boiling away MUCH faster than it should have, and when I checked it after a while, thinking I would just be poking it to see how tender it was, most of the veggies were black carbon!

I shut it all down, brought the meat inside, started with fresh ingredients for the veggies, stout, etc., and simmered it in a stainless dutch oven on the stove.  It actually turned out pretty good, and my wife pronounced it "absolutely delicious!"  I really think I could taste some of the burnt flavor in the meat from my screw-up, but it was still actually pretty darn good.  I had mine on a bun with a slice of provolone, and she had hers plain.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Glad you could salvaged some of the cook.
    I've had a few pizza topping meals.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    "Absolutely delicious"-Winner!!!  All part of the learning curve of cooking great food.  Nice recovery brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    @Theophan do you have the recipe or the exact steps you used? Like to try this sometime but have no clue what do to. Great save by the way. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks great from here! Im also curious for the steps if you don't mind sharing 
  • Theophan

Thanks everybody for the kind comments!

g8golfer said:
    @Theophan do you have the recipe or the exact steps you used? Like to try this sometime but have no clue what do to. Great save by the way. 
    MANY people here have raved about this, and someone posted a link to this:
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html
    and said it was the original recipe he went from, anyway, so it's what I used, too.

I only found a 2.7 lb roast, and it was just for me and my wife, anyway, so I made a little more than half the recipe.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Salvaged is a plus my friend, we all live and learn. The pics look very tasty I'd say you pulled it off!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Nice work bringing this one back from the scrap heap. Sure looks good to me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great audible and recovery.  Congrats on bringing it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Adapt and overcome!!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good save! :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Theophan
    Thanks, everybody, for the very kind comments.  I get worried, sometimes, about how I just don't think I would have made that stupid a mistake, years ago.  Oh well, it turned out pretty well, considering.  And I liked this better than the other pulled beef recipes I've tried.  I've tried Clay's pulled beef, which was delicious, and a recipe somewhat similar to the Pepper Stout Beef, had no stout but beef broth and pepperoncini, and it was really good, too.  But despite my messing it up, I think I like this Pepper Stout Beef the best.  Really good.

Thanks again, my friends.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Parts of the benefit to grilling/BBQing experience is the ability to adapt to problems that arise. Good save!
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Gonna give this one a shot...Thanks for sharing.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen