Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DO NOT buy the Manager's Special! Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
Brothers and sisters, read on for a tale of woe:  I really wanted some grilled shrimp tonight, planned to do a super simple dish from an Eggfest collection: shrimp marinated briefly in pineapple juice, then skewered with pineapple chunks, all sprinkled heavily with DP Jamaican Firewalk.  Easy peasy, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, the only local shrimp they had that were wild caught were on a Manager's Special, and it didn't occur to me until I got home and SMELLED them as I was shelling them that the reason for the Manager's Special just might have been that they'd had them too long and were discounting them to get rid of them before they were completely rotten.  As it was, they were only somewhat rotten.  <sigh>  I asked my wife, who's cooked a lot more shrimp than I whether she thought they were too bad to cook, and was surprised when she thought OK they were not super fresh but hadn't turned "bad," so I went ahead.  She thought they were good, and maybe it was only because I didn't like the way they smelled as I was shelling them, but I didn't think they tasted very good, threw most of them away.

So... learn from my FAIL, brothers and sisters, and when there's a Manager's Special at the seafood counter, just very slowly and carefully, BACK AWAY and get something else.  A can of Spam.  Tofu, for crying out loud!  Anything but the Manager's Special...

Here are some photos of good intentions gone tragically wrong:

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Well they look good.  But I know what you mean-I just can't eat over ripe shrimp. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Bad seafood is no joke. Wild caught shrimp are stronger smelling than farm raised. I wouldn't want to eat either of them if they are bad though.

XL BGE
    MD
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Nothing worse than bad seafood. It will turn off anyone. I once got sick off bad seafood and didn't eat it for years. And I OD on it when in gulf shores.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really hoping we don't wind up getting sick.  So far, so good.  Again, my wife thought they tasted fine, so maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I did NOT like the way they smelled or tasted.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You'll probably be fine.  The strong smell from shrimp and fish that happens eventually (before more putrid smells develop), even when refrigerated (much faster at higher temps) is from autolysis, where enzymes are breaking down the flesh - think how fish sauce is made.  If you smell any trace of ammonia, I'd avoid - ideally fresh shrimp (which are going to be from frozen, even if you buy them at the "dock" in most cases) should not smell strong at all.

Some manager's specials come from the store just buying a lot of a product because it's in season.  I would say the lesson learned is smell your seafood before you buy it. 
    Options
    Agree with @nolaegghead
    Myself I rarely buy frozen seafood period. Shrimp is something I normally buy fresh off the boat...that is if we don't cast net them ourselves. They shouldn't have an off-putting aroma. And ammonia smell steer clear!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The recipe looks great- hope you get to try it again. FWIW I always buy shrimp frozen. I read somewhere that is the best way. As mentioned above unless you live by the water it will have been previously frozen anyway so the freshest tasting will be after the initial thaw. 

Also FWIW, I always buy the managers special steaks if I see them. Beef is a different story and you can get "wet aged" beef at a discount because it may not be bright pink anymore. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    I appreciate your point. I learned long ago that any fruit, meat, bread, or milk that is a "managers special" or marked down for quick sale  is near the end of its life , if not already. I avoid it all.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Only time in my life I had food poisoning was from shrimp at a restaurant. It was our 10th wedding anniversary and the next two days I thought I was going to die or at least wanted to!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    in most places out there, the fresh shrimp on display comes from the frozen bags of shrimp in the freezer section of the supermarket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the one thing I do avoid in the meat/seafood cases are the in store, repackaged items that are nestled with a bunch of wholesale packaged items. it happens often with ribs.

looking through a certain meat and all are in the prepackaged vacuum sealed bags and next thing ya know, you see one or two that are hand wrapped in the store's styro trays.  ya gotta wonder, why or what happened to them to get that way.......no thank you........

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    tjv said:
    the one thing I do avoid in the meat/seafood cases are the in store, repackaged items that are nestled with a bunch of wholesale packaged items. it happens often with ribs.

looking through a certain meat and all are in the prepackaged vacuum sealed bags and next thing ya know, you see one or two that are hand wrapped in the store's styro trays.  ya gotta wonder, why or what happened to them to get that way.......no thank you........

the repackaged ribs up here are solution added hormel, they dont have to mention solution added if its repackaged under the stores label
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    in most places out there, the fresh shrimp on display comes from the frozen bags of shrimp in the freezer section of the supermarket
    Exactly. They defrost it for you and then charge you an extra $2-$3 a lb. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The deli meals are often made from food that didn't sell in the store.